Choosing a letting agent
Choosing the right letting agent is a process that needs to be carefully considered before deciding on who is the best person to represent you and your property.Download this article in PDF
To help, we have developed 12 important considerations to assist you in finding the best solution.
- Work out your target tenant market
- Decide which service you want: tenant find / let only / full management
- Look for letting agents who advertise to your target market and offer the service you want
- Only choose letting agents who are members of NALS and/or ARLA
- Ask the agent to write down ALL of their charges over 12 months, including re-letting the property
- Ensure you have costs for all services, e.g. energy performance certificate, gas safety, periodic checks
- Ask which tenancy deposit scheme they use or recommend
- Compare the level of service each agent will offer, e.g. out of hours contact, number of specially-trained staffed, whether they ‘on-charge’ for maintenance, periodic checks
- Compare the charges of each agent
- Check the terms of business with a legal lettings specialist
- If under full management, check within the first month that the tenant is being looked after by the agent
- Check any charges and statements the letting agent sends and takes from your account
The information contained on this web page is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal or other professional advice. Direct Line for Business does not accept liability for the information contained on this web page, nor does it make any representations or warranties as to the completeness, accuracy or suitability of such information.