Understanding landlord insurance
Whether you are a landlord with one property or with a wide portfolio of properties you would need residential property insurance. Click here to find out the right insurance for you
According to a report last year from the market research organisation Mintel, it is possible that the number of landlords could double by the end of 2010 - taking the total number of landlords in the UK to around two million.
Which type of landlord are you?
Of course, the nature of people renting out property can vary quite significantly - from those who are renting out just one house, to those that own a number of properties or even a whole block of flats.
Whether you are renting out property to provide a small income in the hope of a return on your investment, or you have a portfolio of properties from which you earn your main income, then in the same way that you would insure your own home, it's important that you consider the insurance you might need for your rental property. And Direct Line could help provide the right residential property insurance for you.
Consider the following and how they might have an impact on any property you are renting out:
- The cost of repairs if your property is damaged for example by fire, storm, flood, or lightning
- The cost of replacing contents in your property under the same circumstances
- The cost should you be carrying out work to your property and a third party gets injured or their property gets damaged in the process
- The possible loss of rental income if for certain reasons you were unable to rent your properties out, e.g. they had been damaged by fire
- The potential costs should an employee be hurt or have an accident while carrying out work on your property
Cover your back
Whether you are the landlord of just one property or of many, the potential loss of income or the actual loss of your investment could be catastrophic. That's why, with Direct Line landlord's insurance you can be covered for all of the above, depending on the level of cover you take out.
What's more, with our landlord's insurance policy you also have access to a 24-hour helpline which can give you emergency assistance from reputable local tradesmen who can deal with any sort of emergency such as burst pipes, problems with locks, electrical failures and other similar issues.
You can use this website to find out more about Direct Line business insurance, including exactly what is and isn't covered and get a landlord's insurance quote in minutes.