Personalised and flexible insurance for teachers, trainers and tutors

Join over 500,000 businesses who trust us with their insurance.

  • Get 10% off business insurance if you’re already a Direct Line customer.

    Discount applies to your new business insurance policy. Subject to minimum premiums.

  • We cover you whether you teach at home, a pupil’s home or in a community hall.
  • No admin fees if you need to make changes to your policy.
  • 0% APR on your monthly direct debit payments in the first year.

    New customers only, over 18s, subject to eligibility.

  • We won't be beaten on price. We'll beat your new business insurance quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

    New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying criteria apply. Terms & Conditions.

Insurance that is tailored to your profession

Teaching is one of the most rewarding professions but it’s not without its challenges and risks. In fact, when you’re an independent tutor, you face the same challenges as any small business. So, it’s important that you have the proper insurance cover in place, so that you’re covered if something unexpected happens and you’re faced with legal fees and compensation claims.

The biggest concern most tutors face, particularly if they work from home, is someone they teach getting hurt on their premises. Even relatively small slips and trips could result in a claim being made. Even if you’re not at fault, the cost of defending yourself in court can be extremely high.

You also have your teaching equipment to consider. If you’re a music teacher then you might have expensive instruments to insure, especially if you travel to your pupils’ homes. If your main piece of equipment was dented, damaged or destroyed, you need it replaced quickly, particularly if you’re working to a syllabus.

Fortunately, Direct Line for Business provides a Teacher, Trainer and Tutors’ Insurance policy that you can customise to fit your business needs. Use our online quote tool to select what kind of cover goes into your policy, so you get the exact cover you need without paying for what you don’t.

See what you can include in your teaching insurance policy below.

Get a quote
or call us on 0345 878 5622

Your cover options

Add any of these cover options to your Teacher, Trainer and Tutors’ insurance to create a personalised policy that works for you. These covers are subject to policy conditions and limits.

  • Professional indemnity

    Professional indemnity covers your legal expenses if a client decides to sue you for professional negligence. We only offer cover to trainers and tutors.

  • Public liability

    If you injure a pupil or damage their property during the course of your work, your business is vulnerable to a claim being made against you. Adding public liability to your policy will cover the legal costs and compensation payments you are required to pay.

    This is especially important if you host tutoring sessions in your home or visit clients in theirs. If you were to accidentally break something in your client’s house, or if someone were to trip over your equipment, e.g. your music stand, public liability can cover the resulting costs. We can offer cover from £1 million to £10 million.

  • Employers' liability

    If you employ anyone to help with your business, employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement. This includes anyone you employ temporarily. Read more about exceptions to this rule here.

    If someone who works for you got injured, or became ill, while performing their duties, employers’ liability will cover your legal costs. At Direct Line for Business, we will cover you for £10 million, as standard.

  • Buildings cover

    Whether you see pupils at your home or run classes in a dedicated space, if an insured event such as fire or flood damages your work premises, buildings insurance will cover the costs of repairing the damage. This can include the costs of debris removal and any architect’s fees.

    Our buildings cover also includes breakdown cover as standard (for items forming part of the building). So, if your boiler broke down, you know that the repairs will be undertaken and you won’t lose business. The breakdown must not be due to wear and tear.

  • Contents and stock

    If you run your tutoring business from home, it’s important to remember that your business items are unlikely to be covered under your home insurance policy. That means if the laptop, books or instruments you use for work are damaged by an insured event, such as fire, flood or theft, you need business contents cover to pay for any repairs or replacements.

    A lot of tutors travel to their clients, so you have the option of extending your contents cover to insure certain items beyond your premises. For example, if you’re a clarinet teacher, you can insure your instrument against theft or accidental damage. So, if your clarinet was stolen or damaged whilst on your way to a pupil, you could get it repaired or replaced.

  • Business interruption

    If you work at home but an insured event such as fire or flood stops you from tutoring, business interruption will cover the costs of setting up a new place to work. It will also cover loss of turnover if you can’t work.

    Our business interruption cover can insure you if you or one of your key employees becomes seriously disabled and is unable to continue work, we will cover the incurred costs, up to £25,000, to minimise any interruption to the business.

  • Theft of takings

    As a freelance tutor, you’ll often take payment by cash or cheque. So, you should consider covering your business against theft. This cover will pay out in the event money is stolen from you, your premises or anyone who works for you.

  • Cyber cover

    Cyber cover insures you against the risks of using technology to run your business. It covers the compensation and defence costs for a data breach or unintentional transmission of a virus; loss of income following a cyber attack; the costs you face as a result of cyber crime, including the cost of investigating a cyber ransom demand.

    We also provide access to specialist support for PR and crisis management, identity theft assistance, IT forensics and data recovery experts, and specialist advice to prevent viruses or hacking attacks after an incident.

  • Legal expenses

How can we help?

Get a quote, talk to us via live chat or call us on
0345 878 5622.

Visit our contact us page to view our opening hours.

Frequently asked questions

  • QWhat kind of educators do you insure?

    We can insure:

    • Academic tutors
    • Art teachers
    • Baking teachers
    • Business trainers
    • Computer trainers
    • Cooking teachers
    • Correspondence schools
    • Drama teachers
    • Language tutors
    • Management trainers
    • Music teachers
    • Online teachers/schools
    • Photography teachers
    • Private tutors
    • Secretarial trainers
    • Sewing teachers
    • Soft skills tutors

    If you don’t see your profession here, it doesn’t mean we won’t insure you, simply get a quote to get a personalised run-down of the cover we offer.

  • QAre there any restrictions to your cover?

    Unfortunately we cannot insure the following:

    • Any full or part-time teaching in schools, unless in an independent capacity such as a music teacher
    • After-school club teachers
    • Cycling teachers
    • Dance teachers
    • Out of school club teachers
    • Personal trainers
    • Pilates teachers
    • Pre-school teachers
    • Sports teachers
    • Supply teachers
    • Teachers at training centres
    • Yoga teachers

    We can offer a range of cover options but unfortunately we cannot offer professional indemnity to:

    • Freelance music teachers
    • Online tutors

    We do offer other kinds of teacher cover. Just get a quote to see what you can add to your policy.

Policy documents

If you have an existing quote or policy with us, you can view and download your policy documents from the My Account page.

We tailor all our policies, so your documents only show what you’ve chosen to cover.

Below is a summary of a generic policy, from 15 July 2018 until 31 March 2019, which shows the main covers and exclusions in our policies.

Below is a summary of a generic policy, from 1 April 2019 onwards, which shows the main covers and exclusions in our policies.