Does your business offer advice or professional services?

Make sure you’re covered with Professional Indemnity Insurance from £7.92 a month.
(10% of customers paid this or less. Based on policies sold September 16 - February 17)

Professional Indemnity Insurance

What is Professional Indemnity Insurance?

If you provide advice, consultancy or design, produce materials that could infringe intellectual property rights or have access to clients’ sensitive information, you may need to take out professional indemnity insurance.

Professional indemnity insurance can help cover your business if a client claims that there is a problem with the work you’ve done for them. For example, if the work that you’ve produced for a client has lead to a financial loss or caused reputational damage to their business.

It can also offer cover for any compensation that you may need to pay to correct a mistake or settle a claim, and any legal defence costs that you may face when defending your business.

Without it, you could be liable for thousands of pounds worth of legal fees and compensation payments payable to your client if you are found to have been negligent in your services to them.

Professional Indemnity cover explained

The following professions and trades often require professional indemnity insurance. Learn more about what professional indemnity is. If you’re a contractor, freelancer or small business, we cover:

Please note there are some trades/professions we don’t cover, such as medical professions and solicitors.

What's covered?

With Professional Indemnity Insurance from Direct Line for Business you get:

  • Industry specific cover, approved by many trade bodies (see your profession page for more details)
  • Up to £2m of professional indemnity cover. With the option to extend this limit
  • Cover for legal fees to defend you and the cost of any compensation or damages you have to pay your client
  • No admin fee for changes made during the policy term
  • Access to your own specialist claims handler, should you need to make a claim
  • Access to our free 24/7 legal helpline

For more information on Professional Indemnity and the cover we provide, take a look at the video below:

  • In order to enable us to provide a speedy and efficient service, please ensure that the information provided by you and the statements on this page are correct. Failure to do so may mean that your insurance policy is not valid or that we may not pay all or part of your claim(s). Under European law you and we may choose which law will apply to this contract. English law will apply unless both parties agree otherwise. Our cancellation and complaints procedure is detailed in the policy documents, where you can also find the details of the 14 day cooling.

    If your circumstances change between the date you buy the policy and the cover start date, please call us as incorrect information could invalidate all or part of the policy. You can make some mid-term amendments to your policy online. We don't charge administration fees for mid-term changes to your policy.

    If you decide to cancel your policy during the period of insurance there is no administration fee for cancellation.

    We assume neither the proposer, director or partner of your trade or business or its subsidiary companies either personally or in any business capacity:

    • are subject to bankruptcy or insolvency orders which are either outstanding or have been discharged for less than 5 years;
    • have been convicted of or charged (but not yet tried) with a breach of any health and safety legislation or any other criminal offence other than parking or speeding offences or offences which are spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974;
    • have ever had a proposal refused or declined or ever had an insurance cancelled, renewal refused or had special terms imposed;
    • have been the subject of a County Court Judgement and/or ever been cited in any unsatisfied court judgements (or the Scottish equivalent) within the last 10 years;
    • have been subject of an individual voluntary arrangement with creditors, voluntary liquidation, a winding up or administration order, or administrative receivership proceedings within the last 10 years.

Policy documents

View and download policy documents here

The following policy documents apply to policies that were bought or renewed before 12 August 2016. Please choose the correct trade.

The following policy documents apply to policies that were bought or renewed on or after 12 August 2016. Please choose the correct trade.

Industry Bodies

that require members to have professional indemnity cover

  • The Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT)
  • Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT)
  • Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
  • Institute of Chartered Accountants in Scotland (ICAS)
  • Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
  • Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
  • Institute of Certified Bookkeepers
  • Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI)
  • Architects Registration Board (ARB)
  • Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)

Frequently asked questions

About Professional Indemnity Insurance

  • QWhat is the Insurance Act 2015?

    The Insurance Act 2015 is a new piece of UK government legislation that becomes effective on the 12th August 2016. The purpose of this Act is to update the law in certain areas in line with best practise in the modern UK insurance market. To find out more and how it could affect you please go here:

  • Q What is Professional Indemnity and what does it cover?

    Professional Indemnity insures professionals and businesses against claims made by clients for financial loss or reputational damage due to negligent advice, design or services. The policy covers your legal costs for defending the claim as well as any compensation paid out.

    It specifically also insures you for:

    • Breach of professional duty is when you or your business has a duty of care to a client, but fails to live up to that standard, such as incorrect advice or making a mistake in your work.
    • Dishonest, fraudulent or malicious act or omission of any former or present employee. This includes employees stealing from your clients, and lying or failing to inform you or your clients of detrimental information, as well as revealing confidential client information.
    • Libel or slander, using or producing written, or spoken statements or materials that damages a client’s reputation
    • Unintentional breach of confidentiality, when data or information provided in confidence is accidentally disclosed to a third party without the client's consent, such as sensitive data being stolen or accidently sent to the wrong party or without permission
    • Unintentional infringement of intellectual property rights, such as accidentally violating copyrights, patents, and trademarks, includes imitation or passing another’s products or services off as your own.
    • The loss of or damage to documents, which could be damaged, lost in the post or even stolen while in your care. It also covers the cost of possible recovery of documents.
  • Q What type of business or professional does Professional Indemnity Insurance cover?

    If you’re a contractor, freelancer or small business, we cover the following trades/professions:

    • Accountants
    • Construction consultants including architects
    • Estate agents and property consultants
    • Media/marketing consultants
    • IT consultants
    • Business/management consultants
    • Other professions such as driving instructors and photographers 
  • QHow long is a quote valid for?

    Your quote will be valid for 30 days from the day you receive it.

  • QHow far in advance can I get a quote?

    You can get a quote up to 30 days before you need the cover to start.

  • Q What if my trade/profession isn’t on the list?

    We're only able to offer a quote for those trades listed. If you're having difficulty matching your trade to those listed, please call us on 0345 878 5555.

  • Q What do I do if I have multiple trades/professions?

    If you need cover for more than one trade/profession, please call us on 0345 878 5555.

  • Q What if I haven't got a business name?

    The Business name field is mandatory only for Limited company or Partnership. You can leave it blank if you are a sole trader.

  • Q What if I don't have an email address?

    To get a quote online you’ll need to enter a valid email address. If you'd like help getting a quote, call us on 0345 303 1756.

  • Q What are the excesses for Professional Indemnity Insurance?

    Excesses will vary depending on your circumstances and your individual excesses will be found in the quote page when you have completed the ‘Your Business’ section of the quote process. Or call us on 0345 878 5555.

View more questions

Knowledge Centre