Landlord Contents Insurance: Price beat guarantee

We guarantee to beat the renewal premium or quote of any other insurer.

New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying Criteria Apply. Terms & Conditions.

Contents Insurance for Landlords

What is landlord contents insurance?

Landlord contents insurance can cover repair costs or replacement of furniture that you provide in your rental property. Contents will be any free-standing item such as cookers, washing machines, tumble dryers, fridges, tables, beds and sofas. As part of our standard contents cover, damage to floor coverings such as carpets, lino and laminate floors is also included.

Just want your contents insured? We provide new-for-old contents cover

Our insurance is designed specifically for landlords and buy-to-let owners, and so far more than 250,000 landlords have taken the direct line. We provide tailored Landlord Insurance, so if the building is already insured, you might just want to get contents cover for the furniture, white goods and homewares you've left inside your property for your tenants to use.

Our landlord contents only insurance policy covers:

  • Damage to fixtures and fittings that aren't part of the building – such as free-standing ovens, washing machines or fridges; as well as beds, sofas and other free standing items of furniture.
  • Damage to floor coverings – standard cover up to £5,000 with an option to increase.
  • Replacement locks up to £25,000 – in case they're broken due to a burglary or need replacing because of theft of keys.
  • Alternative accommodation for tenants – covers up to £100,000 for housing tenants if the property can't be lived in due to an insured event, such as flood or fire.

It also has public liability, so if you're sued for damage to someone else's property, you're covered. For example, if a burst pipe in your property causes a flood in your neighbour's place or if your tenants are injured in your property as a result of your negligence, you'll be insured for the legal costs. It also covers any compensation awarded.

Direct Line for Business policies give you the choice to extend your cover for an additional premium. Remember that home insurance isn’t designed for rental properties – you need specialist landlord insurance.

Our specialist claims handlers have helped thousands of landlords get the contents of rental properties repaired or replaced, so they can get on with their lives. If you make a claim, we’ll allocate a dedicated claims handler to look after your claim from start to finish, so your claim will get sorted with as little fuss as possible.

Our flexible cover allows you to add properties to an existing policy any time, giving you one simple renewal date.

Take a look at our Landlord insurance

Option to increase limits

  • New-for-old contents cover. (Contents only cover available for leasehold properties, such as flats, where a freehold management company may already have buildings insurance) (1).
  • Public Liability cover up to £2m in case a claim is made against you. Click for details on why all landlords need public liability cover.
  • Alternative Accommodation – we’ll pay to re-house your tenants following an insured event such as a flood or fire. (subject to policy limits).
  • Glass and locks replacement (2).
  • Access to our free 24/7 legal helpline.
  • Access to your own specialist claims handler should the worst happen.
  • 0% interest if you wish to pay by instalments in the first year to help spread the cost. (0% APR representative, subject to eligibility, 18s and over).
  • No administration fees for mid-term amendments.
  1. Either buildings OR contents is standard, not both.
  2. Glass replacement following breakage. Replacement Locks following loss of keys (by theft or robbery) with Contents cover.

Optional extras

  • Landlord Emergency – 24-hour access to assistance in the event of an insured emergency at your rented property.
  • Legal Expenses – covers the cost of defending your legal rights. Includes Repossession Cover, Nuisance and Eviction of Squatters Cover, and Tax Protection.
  • Rent Guarantee – As part of Legal Expenses, add Rent Guarantee to cover unpaid rent if your tenant or ex-tenant is still in your residential property.
  • Accidental damage for Contents when you've insured them
  • We'll pay for loss of rent if your property becomes uninhabitable following an insured event such as a fire or a flood
  • Employers' Liability – protection if an employee claims against you for an injury caused while at work
  • Malicious Damage by Tenant cover
  • Theft by Tenant cover

Landlord Knowledge Centre