resizer image

Landlord Insurance: Price beat guarantee

Change to us or take out your first policy, and we guarantee to beat the renewal premium or quote of any other insurer.

New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying Criteria Apply. Terms & Conditions.

Rent Guarantee cover now available,
find out more

defaqto awards logo

Landlord Insurance

Keeping your investments safe

Our insurance is designed specifically for landlords and buy-to-let owners, and so far more than 250,000 landlords have already taken the direct line.

Direct Line for Business Landlord Insurance offers high levels of standard cover, options to increase limits, and extend your cover if you need to. Remember that home insurance isn’t designed for rental properties – you need specialist insurance for landlords.

Our specialist claims handlers have helped thousands of landlords get their properties back into action quickly and efficiently. If you make a claim, we’ll allocate a dedicated claims handler to look after your claim from start to finish, to give that personal touch.

Our flexible cover allows you to add properties to an existing policy any time, giving you one simple renewal date and a multi-property discount.

Get a quote
or call us on 0345 303 1763

What's covered?

Our insurance is designed specifically for landlords and buy-to-let owners, and so far more than 250,000 landlords have already taken the direct line.

  • Public Liability cover of £2m included as standard with option to increase to £5m or £10m. Click for details on why all landlords need public liability cover.
  • We’ll pay to re-house your tenants following an insured event such as a flood or fire. (subject to policy limits)
  • 0% interest if you wish to pay by instalments in the first year to help spread the cost. (0.0% APR representative subject to eligibility, over 18's only.)
  • No administration fees for mid-term amendments.

1Either buildings OR contents is standard, not both.
2Glass replacement following breakage. Replacement Locks following loss of keys (by theft or robbery) with Contents cover.

Optional extras

  • Legal Expenses cover - add Rent Guarantee to cover unpaid rent if your tenant or ex-tenant is still in your residential property
  • Landlord Emergency – 24-hour access to assistance in the event of an insured emergency at your rented property.
  • Accidental damage for Buildings and/or Contents when you've insured them.
  • Employers' Liability - protection if an employee claims against you for an injury caused while at work
  • Saving you time with your quote

    Please ensure that the information provided by you is correct, and you comply with the statements on this page. If your circumstances change between the date you purchase the policy and the policy start date, please call us. Failure to do so may mean that your insurance policy is not valid or that we may not pay all or part of your claim(s).

    We don’t charge administration fees for mid-term changes to your policy.

    If you decide to cancel your policy during the period of insurance an administration fee for cancellation will apply amounting to 1/12th of your annual premium, up to a maximum of £50.00 (calculated at the time of cancellation, plus current rate of Insurance Premium Tax where applicable).

    The below statements are what you need to agree with for us to be able to offer you this insurance policy.

    Neither You, nor Your Directors nor Your Business partners:

    • have ever had a proposal for insurance declined or special conditions imposed by any Insurer
    • have ever been convicted of or charged (but not yet tried) with a breach of any health and safety legislation, or any other criminal offence other than parking or speeding offences or offences which are spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
    • have been the subject of a County Court Judgement and/or ever been cited in any unsatisfied court judgements (or the Scottish equivalent) within the last 10 years
    • have been subject to bankruptcy or insolvency orders which are either outstanding or have been discharged for less than 5 years 

    You/Your business:

    • comply with all of your legal obligations as a landlord
    • do not have agreed letting periods of less than 6 months

    Important statements about your Property/Properties:

    Your property/properties:

    • are built solely of bricks, stones or concrete and roofed solely of slates, tiles, asphalts, concrete, metal or other incombustible materials other than flat roofs
    • are maintained in a good state of repair
    • are not Grade 1 Listed in England and Wales, Category A in Scotland, Grade A in Northern Ireland, or the equivalent within the Channel Islands and Isle of Man
    • are not used as holiday homes
    • are not sub-let

    Your property/properties is not occupied/let to:

    • halfway houses
    • bedsits
    • housing associations
    • Local Authorities
    • asylum seekers

    Important statements about your tenants:

    • only those individuals who have signed the tenancy agreement with you shall permanently reside at the property unless they are:
      • members of the same family
      • the partner of the tenant
      • individuals under the age of 18 for whom the tenant is the legal guardian
    • at least one of the individuals who have signed the tenancy agreement must be either employed, in full time education, retired or in receipt of a disability benefit at the point of signing the tenancy agreement.
Get a quote
or call us on 0345 303 1763

Policy documents

View and download policy documents here

The following policy documents apply to policies that were bought or renewed after 8 April 2018 but before 1 April 2019.

The following policy documents apply to policies that were bought or renewed on, or after 1 April 2019 but
before 28 August 2019.

The following policy documents apply to policies that were bought or renewed on, or after 28 August 2019 but before 8 September 2019.

The following policy documents apply to policies that were bought or renewed on, or after 8 September 2019.

Frequently asked questions

About Landlord Insurance

  • QWhat does Rent Guarantee cover me for?

    Rent Guarantee covers unpaid rent while your tenant or ex-tenant is still in your residential property in the UK. You can make a claim once the rent has been overdue for at least one calendar month. It covers you for up to £250,000 per claim and there’s also no excess and no limit to the number of claims you can make per year.

    Once you get your property back, you may find it needs repairs for it to be let out again. The cover will pay 50% of the rent you had previously received whilst letting it out while the repairs are happening for up to three months or until the property is let, whichever happens first.

    To get this cover feature, you need to have a landlord insurance policy with us. You'll also need to take out our Legal Expenses cover to be able to add Rent Guarantee.

  • QDo you cover boilers?

    If you select our Buildings cover, you’ll automatically get Equipment Breakdown cover. This pays to repair or replace your boiler, irrespective of its age, if it breaks down, but excludes wear and tear. Read more about our boiler insurance cover.

    To make a claim, you need to arrange for a boiler engineer to visit your property and assess the boiler. They need to submit their report to us, so we can assess whether the claim is covered. If it is, we’ll reimburse you for the repair/replacement costs, including parts, labour and call out charges, less the £200 excess.

    This cover is not a maintenance contract – it doesn’t cover servicing or Gas Safety Certificates (CP12).

  • QWhat’s my rebuild cost and where can I find it?

    The rebuild cost is the total cost of the work needed to completely rebuild your property and put it back to the condition it was in before if it was destroyed beyond repair. It’s not the same as the market or resale value of the property.

    If you’re not sure of the rebuild cost, a calculator is available when you get a quote with us. It uses data from the Building Cost Information Service (BCIS) provided by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.

    The BCIS can’t provide rebuild costs for all properties – in particular it can't provide the value for a flat - so the calculator button might not appear, or you might not see any values when you click on the button.

    If the BCIS can’t provide you with a value, you can get your rebuild cost from a qualified surveyor, your mortgage adviser or letting agent, or if you’ve recently had a property survey.

  • QWhat do Legal Expenses cover me for?
  • QDo you cover properties that have tenants in receipt of benefits?

    We offer cover providing at least one tenant in the property, is employed, retired, in full-time education or on disability benefits at the time they signed the rental agreement with you (subject to you also meeting our other acceptance criteria).

    At this time, we don't cover properties where all of the tenants are full-time unemployed and claiming unemployment benefits.

  • QDo you cover HMOs (Houses in Multiple Occupation)?

    We don’t specifically exclude HMOs. We can accept some HMOs, for example, some student rental properties, whereas we can’t accept others, such as bedsits. Please call us on 0345 303 1763 to find out whether we could cover your property.

  • QDo you insure unoccupied properties?

    Yes we do insure unoccupied properties in certain circumstances. We don’t look to provide long term cover for unoccupied properties but we understand they may be unoccupied because:

    • you've just bought the property
    • are in between tenants
    • are redecorating and/or refurbishing the property

    We’ll need to understand your specific circumstances to confirm whether we’ll be able to offer you cover. Any cover provided would be subject to the property being occupied within 60 days of unoccupancy.

    If you want to insure an unoccupied property, and you meet the two requirements below, please call us on 0345 303 1763 .

    1. The property is for rental and not personal occupation.
    2. Any improvement works undertaken are decoration only, rather than major renovation works.
  • QWhat are the exclusions on this policy?

    Please refer to the policy summary document where we detail the general exclusions. For more details please refer to your policy wording or call our customer services department on 0345 303 1756.

  • QWhat conditions do I have to comply with if my property is unoccupied?

    You need to inform us if your property becomes unoccupied during the term of your policy (and let us know when it becomes occupied again if you’ve previously told us that it was unoccupied).

    After your property has been unoccupied for 30 days, you need to:

    • turn off all services at the mains (except electricity if needed to maintain any fire or intruder alarm system)
    • drain the water and heating system, or between 1 October and 31 March, maintain the property at a minimum temperature of 10°C 
    • inspect your property (inside and outside) every 7 days
    • remove mail and newspapers during each inspection
    • make sure the property is secured
    After your property has been unoccupied for 30 days, we won’t cover damage caused by escape of water, riot or theft.
  • QCan I buy a policy if I live outside the UK?

    Yes, you can, provided that the property you are insuring is in the UK. We don't insure property outside the UK.

View more questions

Got more than one rental property?

Find out more about our multi-property insurance

Read more

Rent Guarantee Insurance

Get cover for
unpaid rent

Find out more

What our Landlord customers are saying

Customer reviews verified by ReevooTM

Ease of purchase


Value for money


Overall rating


Score is 9.0 out of 10 based on 5824 reviews.

Reevoo logo Learn more about Reevoo and read more customer reviews here.

Easy to register


Landlord Knowledge Centre