Commercial landlord insurance

Unbeatable commercial landlord insurance

We guarantee to beat the price of any other insurer.

New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying criteria apply. Terms & Conditions.

Join over 250,000 landlords who trust us with their insurance

What is commercial landlord insurance?

Our commercial landlord insurance is ideal for landlords who rent out properties for commercial use, or have a mixed portfolio of commercial and residential buildings.

Our specialist business teams are on hand to make sure getting the cover you need is as easy as possible. And thanks to our dedicated claims experts, you'll be in safe hands when you need us most.

What does commercial landlord insurance cover?

Our commercial landlord Insurance offers high levels of standard cover, plus options to increase limits and extend your cover if you need to. You also have the flexibility to lower your excess for a higher premium, or increase your excess for a lower premium, whatever works for you.

  • Buildings Insurance.
  • Glass replacement following breakage.
  • Replacement locks and keys following accidental loss of keys or evidence where keys have been copied.
    Subject to policy limits.
  • We'll repair or replace your boiler if it breaks down.
    Excludes wear and tear.
  • Damage to flooring that covers entire floor areas such as carpets, lino and laminate.
    Standard cover up to £5,000 with an option to increase.
  • Access to our free 24/7 legal helpline.
  • Access to your own specialist claims handler.
  • Public Liability cover of £2 million as standard (option to increase) in case a claim is made against you following an accident associated with your business.
    Why all landlords need public liability cover
  • We'll pay to relocate your tenants following an insured event such as a flood or fire.
    Subject to policy limits.
  • 0% interest if you wish to pay by instalments in the first year.
    New customers 0.0% APR representative subject to eligibility, over 18's only.
  • No admin fees for mid-term amendments.

Optional cover

  • Employers' Liability - protection if an employee claims against you for an injury caused while at work.
  • New-for-old contents insurance.
    Contents insurance is only available when also buying buildings insurance.
  • Theft by tenant.
  • Loss of rent - we'll pay your lost rent if your property becomes uninhabitable following an insured event such as a fire or a flood.
  • Malicious Damage by Tenants.
  • Legal expenses.
    Covers the cost to defend your legal rights for various business incidents such as legal defence, eviction of squatters and repossession.
  • Subsidence - covers you in the event the building suffers from subsidence, heave or landslip.
    Subject to acceptance criteria and any previous subsidence claim.
  • Personal accident - pays up to a maximum benefit of £50,000 in respect of death or a weekly benefit of £250 if temporary disabled to insured persons between the ages of 16 -75 if they are unable to work because they've been injured in an accident, whether in a business or personal capacity.
  • Terrorism - help protect your commercial property against damage caused by acts of terrorism. We'll cover you up to the maximum sum insured on your policy for buildings, contents and/or loss of rental income.

    Acts of terrorism are defined as damage caused by someone acting on behalf of, or in connection with, any organisation which uses force or violence to overthrow or influence the UK government. Terrorism cover is not available for properties that are located in the Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Northern Ireland. An additional premium will apply and is available only on a new policy or at renewal.

Important information about your commercial landlord insurance policy


Saving you time with your quote

Please ensure that the information provided by you is correct, and you comply with the statements on this page. If your circumstances change between the date you purchase the policy and the policy start date, please call us. Failure to do so may mean that your insurance policy is not valid or that we may not pay all or part of your claim(s).

We don't charge administration fees for mid-term changes to your policy.

If you decide to cancel your policy during the period of insurance an administration fee for cancellation will apply amounting to 1/12th of your annual premium, up to a maximum of £50.00 (calculated at the time of cancellation, plus current rate of Insurance Premium Tax where applicable).

The below statements are what you need to agree with for us to be able to offer you this insurance policy.

Neither You, nor Your Directors nor Your Business partners:

  • have ever had a proposal for insurance declined or special conditions imposed by any Insurer
  • have ever been convicted of or charged (but not yet tried) with a breach of any health and safety legislation, or any other criminal offence other than parking or speeding offences or offences which are spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
  • have been the subject of a County Court Judgement and/or ever been cited in any unsatisfied court judgements (or the Scottish equivalent) within the last 5 years
  • have been subject to bankruptcy or insolvency orders which are either outstanding or have been discharged for less than 5 years

You/Your business:

  • comply with all of your legal obligations as a landlord

Important statements about your Property/Properties:

Your property/properties:

  • are built solely of bricks, stones or concrete and roofed solely of slates, tiles, asphalts, concrete, metal or other incombustible materials other than flat roofs
  • are secure, watertight and maintained in a good state of repair and will be maintained
  • are not Grade 1 Listed in England and Wales, Category A in Scotland, Grade A in Northern Ireland, or the equivalent within the Channel Islands and Isle of Man
  • are not sub-let
  • are not occupied as halfway houses or bedsits
  • are not let to housing associations, Local Authorities or to asylum seekers
  • are not located in or on airports, aerodromes or within a nuclear installation.

Important statements about your tenants:

  • Only those individuals who have signed the tenancy agreement with you shall permanently reside at the property unless they are:
    • members of the same family
    • the partner of the tenant
    • individuals under the age of 18 for whom the tenant is the legal guardian
  • At least one of the individuals who have signed the tenancy agreement must be employed (or have been in the last 6 months), in full time education (or have been in the last 6 months), retired, in receipt of carers allowance or disability benefit at the point of signing the tenancy agreement.
  • Have agreed letting periods of six months or more for commercial properties.

Commercial landlord insurance policy documents

When you get a quote, we'll send you a personalised policy document that shows the cover you've chosen.

These can also be found when you log into My Account. Here you can find examples of our latest commercial landlord insurance documents which show the main covers we offer, plus exclusions.

To make sure you download the right document, please select the dates that cover the period you bought or renewed your policy and the latest version of the document will be displayed.

Frequently asked questions

The Insurance Act 2015 is a new piece of UK government legislation that becomes effective on the 12th August 2016. The purpose of this Act is to update the law in certain areas in line with best practise in the modern UK insurance market. To find out more and how it could affect you please go here:

If you select our Buildings cover, you'll automatically get Equipment Breakdown cover. This pays to repair or replace your boiler, irrespective of its age, if it breaks down, but excludes wear and tear. Read more about our boiler insurance cover.

To make a claim, you need to arrange for a boiler engineer to visit your property and assess the boiler. They need to submit their report to us, so we can assess whether the claim is covered. If it is, we'll reimburse you for the repair/replacement costs, including parts, labour and call out charges, less the £200 excess.

This cover is not a maintenance contract - it doesn't cover servicing or Gas Safety Certificates (CP12).

The rebuild cost is the total cost for materials, labour, professional fees, debris removal and VAT (if applicable) to rebuild the property to the condition it was before if it was destroyed beyond repair. This is not the property's market value.

If you're unsure, you can get the rebuild cost from a qualified surveyor or use the ABI Public Rebuild Calculator.

It's your responsibility to make sure the insured rebuilding cost is enough to cover the cost of rebuilding the property.

Legal expenses is optional and covers you for legal costs in connection with:

  • repossession
  • nuisance and eviction of squatters
  • rent recovery
  • dilapidations and maintenance
  • tax protection
  • personal injury
  • property protection
  • debt recovery
  • tenancy and contract disputes
  • statutory licence appeal
  • legal defence
  • employment disputes and compensation awards

Please refer to the policy booklet for more information.

Yes, you can, provided that the property you are insuring is in the UK. We don't insure property outside the UK.

Your quote is valid for up to 30 days from the day you receive it.

Yes, we automatically include £5000 of cover for floor coverings, such as linos and carpets, in our Landlord Contents cover. You can choose to increase this limit if you wish.

To get a quote online you'll need to enter a valid email address. If you'd like help getting a quote, call us on 0345 303 1756.

Malicious Damage by Tenants covers you for damage to your property inflicted deliberately by people lawfully on the premises, such as tenants and their invited visitors. Examples of malicious damage are vandalism and cannabis farms. (Click here for advice on how to prevent your property being used as a cannabis farm).

Please refer to the policy summary document where we detail the general exclusions. For more details please refer to your policy wording or call our customer services department on 0345 303 1756.

How can we help?

Our virtual assistant is here to answer your questions. And in cases where it doesn't have the answer, we'll put you in touch with someone who can help.

Contact us

Opening hours:

  • Monday to Friday 8am - 7pm
  • Saturday 9am - 5pm
  • Sunday 9am - 2pm

Related links

Got more than one rental property?

Rent icon Find out more about our multi-property insurance.

Looking for something different?

Breakfast icon Find out more about our B&B insurance