How Brexit will impact your van insurance

What's changed since Brexit?

As of 2 August 2021 you will no longer require a Green Card to travel to most countries in the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA), including all of those covered by your van insurance policy with us. Should you have any questions about this, please contact us.

If you are driving with a caravan or trailer, you may need to register it before travelling. Please see the UK Government's guidance on trailer registration for more information.

  • Q What is a Green Card?

    A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance issued by your insurance provider. It provides motorists with proof that they have the necessary minimum motor insurance cover required by the law of the country they're travelling to.

    As of 2 August 2021, you no longer need a Green Card to travel to any of the following countries: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

    Please be aware that a Green Card does not change your cover, it's evidence of the most basic legal minimum cover.

  • Q How much does a Green Card cost?

    We can supply you with a Green Card free of charge but you no longer need one when driving in the EU.

  • Q How do I contact you if I need to discuss getting a Green Card?

    Please see our Contact Us page for contact details and opening hours.

  • Q Do I need an International Driving Permit?

    If you have a photocard driving licence issued in the UK, you don't need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.

    You may need an IDP to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have a paper driving licence, or a licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man.

    You can obtain IDPs from the Post Office. For more information, please also see UK Government guidance on driving abroad.

  • Q Do I need a European Accident Statement form?

    This form has many different names, e.g. it's known as a "DAA" in Spain and "constat amiable" in France. Although it isn't a legal requirement, it's advisable to print one off and take it with you, as completing one is standard practice in many countries. It will also help you understand the questions, as the format is the same regardless of language. You can find the form in our foreign use extension pack, or alternatively, you can download and print one out here.

  • Q Do I need to make changes to my number plate?

    The UK's official identifier has changed from "GB" to "UK". This means that any number plate or sticker with "GB" on it is no longer valid. GB stickers should be covered or removed before driving outside the UK. You now need to display a UK sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:

    • A GB sticker
    • A Euro symbol
    • A national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
    • No flag or identifier

    If you're in Cyprus, Malta or Spain you must display a GB sticker regardless of what is on your number plate. For more information, please see the Government's guidance on displaying number plates.

  • Q What else do I need to know about driving in Europe? Where can I get information?

    You'll need to take your vehicle log book (V5C) with you. This must show your most recent address in the UK. There may also be other requirements depending on when you are going and how long for. You can find more information on the UK Government advice on driving abroad page.

  • Q Will my breakdown cover work in Europe?

    Please speak to your breakdown provider to check if you are covered for taking your car to Europe.