Award Winning Landlord Insurance from £99.36 a year

10% of customers paid this or less to cover their rental property between 24 November 2020 – 24 May 2021. Excludes add-ons.

defaqto, most trusted, mortgage awards logos

Join over 250,000 landlords who trust us with their insurance.

  • Voted Best Landlord Insurance Provider at the What Mortgage Awards 2013 – 2020.
  • Add up to 15 properties on one policy, with one renewal date.
  • Your own specialist claims handler, who'll deal with your claim from start to finish.
  • Buildings, Contents and Fixtures and Fittings cover available.
  • Our Landlord Emergency claims line is open 24/7, so we can send help when you need it.

    Landlord Emergency can only be added at new business and renewal for an additional premium. Extreme weather conditions may extend response time. Residential properties only. Only insured emergencies are covered. Underwritten by U K Insurance Limited.

What is landlord insurance?

Landlord insurance covers the risks you face when letting or leasing a property. If the building or the contents inside are damaged, or you get into a dispute with your tenants, you could incur some hefty and unexpected costs.

Our landlord insurance is designed to keep your investments safe and will help get your property back up and running, should something go wrong.

Get a quote
or call us on 0345 303 1763

What does landlord insurance cover?

Our landlord Insurance offers high levels of standard cover, plus options to increase limits and extend your cover if you need to. You also have the flexibility to lower your excess for a higher premium, or increase your excess for a lower premium, whatever works for you.

The following cover types are included in our landlord insurance, as standard:

  • Buildings Insurance, including Boiler Cover.
  • New-for-old Contents Insurance, including Replacement Locks Cover.
  • Fixtures and Fittings Cover – are you a leasehold landlord of a flat? This covers you for damage to permanent internal fixtures that are not insured under the block of flat insurance policy covering the buildings.
  • Glass and Sanitary Ware.
  • Public Liability cover of £2m, with the option to increase.
  • Floor Coverings (up to £5k, with an option to increase).
  • Alternative Accommodation so we'll pay to re-house your tenants following an insured event such as a flood or fire, subject to policy limits.

    *Either buildings OR contents is standard, not both.

For an additional premium, you can add any of these covers to your landlord insurance policy:

  • Landlord Emergency – if there's an insured emergency at your rented property, we'll send out a contractor to deal with the problem.
  • Legal Expenses – covers the cost of defending your legal rights. Includes Repossession Cover, Nuisance and Eviction of Squatters Cover, and Tax Protection.
  • Loss of Rent – this covers lost income if your property becomes uninhabitable following an insured event, such as a fire or a flood.
  • Accidental Damage for buildings and/or contents when you've insured them.
  • Employers' Liability – this covers you if an employee makes a claim against you for a work-related injury.
  • Theft by Tenant Cover.
  • Malicious Damage by Tenants.
  • You can extend your policy to help protect your rental property against damage caused by acts of terrorism. We’ll cover you up to the maximum sum insured on your policy for buildings, contents and/or loss of rental income. Acts of terrorism are defined as damage caused by someone acting on behalf of, or in connection with, any organisation which uses force or violence to overthrow or influence the UK government.

    Terrorism cover is not available for properties that are located in the Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Northern Ireland.

    Terrorism insurance is an optional cover so an additional premium will apply.

    You can include Terrorism cover to your policy by either processing this online or calling us on
    0345 301 5066 when you take out your policy with us or at renewal as it cannot be added to your policy mid-term.

If you take out a policy with us, you can also take advantage of the following benefits:

  • 0% interest if you pay by instalments in the first year

    Subject to eligibility, over 18's only.

  • No admin fees if you make changes or add further properties to your policy.
  • Add up to 15 properties on one policy, with one renewal date.
  • Access to our 24/7 legal helpline.
  • Access to your own specialist claims handler should the worst happen.
Get a quote
or call us on 0345 303 1763

Do I need landlord insurance?

Your home insurance policy is unlikely to cover activity in your rented property. So, if you want to safeguard your income, it's important to obtain specialist landlord insurance.

Although landlord insurance isn't a legal obligation, most buy-to-let mortgage lenders will require you to take out insurance before your tenants move in.

What our Landlord customers are saying

Customer reviews verified by ReevooTM

read reviews

I can't rate this as it has only been a week and I haven't had to claim yet


  • Saving you time with your quote

    Please ensure that the information provided by you is correct, and you comply with the statements on this page. If your circumstances change between the date you purchase the policy and the policy start date, please call us. Failure to do so may mean that your insurance policy is not valid or that we may not pay all or part of your claim(s).

    We don’t charge administration fees for mid-term changes to your policy.

    If you decide to cancel your policy during the period of insurance an administration fee for cancellation will apply amounting to 1/12th of your annual premium, up to a maximum of £50.00 (calculated at the time of cancellation, plus current rate of Insurance Premium Tax where applicable).

    The below statements are what you need to agree with for us to be able to offer you this insurance policy.

    Neither You, nor Your Directors nor Your Business partners:

    • have ever had a proposal for insurance declined or special conditions imposed by any Insurer
    • have ever been convicted of or charged (but not yet tried) with a breach of any health and safety legislation, or any other criminal offence other than parking or speeding offences or offences which are spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
    • have been the subject of a County Court Judgement and/or ever been cited in any unsatisfied court judgements (or the Scottish equivalent) within the last 10 years
    • have been subject to bankruptcy or insolvency orders which are either outstanding or have been discharged for less than 5 years 

    You/Your business:

    • comply with all of your legal obligations as a landlord

    Important statements about your Property/Properties:

    Your property/properties:

    • are built solely of bricks, stones or concrete and roofed solely of slates, tiles, asphalts, concrete, metal or other incombustible materials other than flat roofs
    • are maintained in a good state of repair
    • are not Grade 1 Listed in England and Wales, Category A in Scotland, Grade A in Northern Ireland, or the equivalent within the Channel Islands and Isle of Man
    • are not sub-let

    Your property/properties is not occupied/let to:

    • halfway houses
    • bedsits
    • housing associations
    • Local Authorities
    • asylum seekers

    Important statements about your tenants:

    • only those individuals who have signed the tenancy agreement with you shall permanently reside at the property unless they are:
      • members of the same family
      • the partner of the tenant
      • individuals under the age of 18 for whom the tenant is the legal guardian
    • at least one of the individuals who have signed the tenancy agreement must be employed (or have been in the last 6 months), in full time education (or have been in the last 6 months), retired, in receipt of carers allowance or disability benefit at the point of signing the tenancy agreement.

Policy documents

View and download policy documents here

The following policy documents apply to policies that were bought or renewed on, or after 12 March 2020 but before 22 June 2021.

The following policy documents apply for policies effective from 22 June 2021 onwards.

Get a quote
or call us on 0345 303 1763

Landlord tips

Got more than one
rental property?

Find out more about our
multi-property insurance

Read more

Letting a

Learn more about our
commercial landlord

Find out more