Tradesman Insurance: Tradesman insurance checklist
Tradesman insurance policies vary so it's important that you check that your policy covers all of your requirements and meets your needs. Take a look at our checklist.
Trying to figure out which tradesman insurance policy to take out can be tricky. Tradesman insurance policies vary so it's important that you check that your policy covers all of your requirements and meets your needs. We've put together a list of questions for you to ask potential insurance providers so you can find out if you're buying insurance that's right for your circumstances.
- Is your trade covered?
- Is there any insurance available if a member of the public is injured or property is damaged as a result of your business's work?
- What type of insurance is available in the event that an employee suffers a work-related injury or illness?
- Is there a maximum number of manual and clerical employees that can be put on the policy?
- Will tools stored in a vehicle overnight or in transit be insured if they are stolen?
- How can you get your business vehicle insured?
- What is included and excluded from the policy?
- Who needs to be named on the insurance policy document?
- Does it matter if you don't have a business name?
- What is expected from you?
- When do you need to inform your insurance company of changes to your personal situation or your business's circumstances?
- Can you cancel your policy and what is involved?
- What is the procedure when you need to make claim?
- Who will deal with your claim and will you receive a specialist claims handler?
- Is the claims team based in the UK or abroad?
- Is there a legal helpline available 24/7?
- What is the applicable excess in the event of a claim?
- How will any claim affect your renewal premium?
- Are there any time limits for making a claim?
- What happens if you have a dispute with your insurance company or disagree with its decision regarding a claim?
- If no claim is made, will you receive a discount?
This list of questions should go some way to helping you determine whether you're purchasing appropriate insurance. The list is not exhaustive. If you have more questions then don't be afraid to ask your insurance provider before taking out tradesman insurance.