Photographers insurance

Price beat guarantee

We guarantee to beat your new insurance quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

To redeem and for full Terms & Conditions, click here.

New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying criteria apply.

Stolen laptop? Damaged mobile? We'll replace your essential tech within 24hrs of claim approval, with Business Tech Essentials.

Cover & claim limits apply. Mon – Fri 8am – 6pm, except Bank holidays

  • We can cover you whether you work at home, in your studio, or shooting on location.
  • No admin fees if you need to make changes to your policy.
  • 0% APR on your monthly Direct Debit payments in the first year.

    Over 18s, subject to eligibility.

  • We won't be beaten on price. We'll beat your new business insurance quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

    New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying criteria apply. Terms & Conditions.

Photographers’ insurance customised by you

Running your own photography business means that your days can be extremely varied: one day you might be taking product photos for a corporate client, the next you could be photographing a woodland wedding.

The creative nature of your work means that it carries significant risks. If something doesn’t go to plan, or you encounter creative differences with a client, they could make a claim against you. For instance, if you’re paid to take photos at a wedding, and the photos end up being out of focus or generally sub-standard, the bride and groom could sue for compensation.

There are other pressing issues too, like finding the right insurance for camera gear. Not only does your expensive camera need to be covered, but you also have to consider your lighting equipment, the computer that runs your image editing software and any darkroom accessories if you work on film. If any part of your production workflow breaks down because your equipment is damaged, lost or stolen you could miss deadlines and potentially lose clients.

Fortunately, Direct Line for Business offers Photographers’ Insurance that you can personalise according to your business needs.

Our easy-to-use online quote tool allows you to select the different covers needed for your line of work. Your cover options are contained within one policy, so there’s only one renewal date to remember.

See what you can include in your photography business insurance policy below.

Get a quote
or call us on 0345 605 9168

Confused by an insurance term? Look it up in our
jargon buster

Your cover options

Add any of the following cover options to your Photographers’ insurance to create a policy that reflects your business needs. These covers are subject to policy conditions and limits.

  • Professional indemnity

    If something goes wrong with a photography commission - for example, if you lose embargoed images that are then leaked to the press - it’s possible that you will have a claim made against you. Professional indemnity cover will pay for your legal and compensation costs.

  • Public liability

    If you injure a member of the public, or damage their property, during the course of your business, you could have a claim made against you. Public liability will cover the resulting legal and compensation costs.

    Perhaps your flashbulb dazzles a passer-by and they have an accident, or one of your lights causes a fire in a client’s home — both of these incidents could be covered by public liability. We can offer cover from £1 million to £10 million, subject to criteria.

    Our public liability cover also includes product liability, as standard. So, if your business sells products – e.g. prints or frames – and one of your products causes injury to a member of the public, you’re covered if they make a claim against you.

  • Employers' liability

    If you employ anyone, employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement. This includes temporary hires like a one-off photography assistant. Read more about the exceptions to this rule here.

    Employers’ liability covers the legal and compensation costs you could have to pay if someone who worked for you gets injured or becomes ill because of that work. At Direct Line for Business, we will cover you for £10 million, as standard.

  • Buildings cover

    Whether you work from your home office or a dedicated studio, if an insured event such as a fire or flood damages your business premises, buildings insurance will pay the cost of repairing the damage. This can include debris removal assistance and architects’ fees.

    Our buildings cover also includes breakdown cover, as standard (for items forming part of the building). So, if your boiler broke down, this cover would help you get essential repairs completed quickly. The breakdown must not be due to wear and tear.

    If you work from your own studio:

    When getting a quote online, you’ll be asked where you provide your services. Just choose the ‘My shop’ option to proceed.

  • Contents and stock

    Running a photography business involves managing some expensive equipment. You have to maintain your camera, lenses, lights, computer equipment and darkroom stock. Should your equipment become damaged or destroyed by an insured event such as fire or flood, our contents and stock cover will pay for the cost of replacing the items, so you don’t have to worry about losing too much production time.

    You can also cover your office computers, furniture, art and any other essential large items, as long as you include them within the sum insured.

    You have the option of extending your camera equipment insurance so that your essential items are covered beyond your premises. For example, if you’re shooting on location, you can make sure your camera, lenses and lights are covered in case of theft or accidental damage. So, if the worst should happen, you can get replacements, without fear of losing time or clients.

    And now with Business Tech Essentials, if your essential tech is stolen or damaged, we'll replace it within 24 hours from claim approval.

    When you cover your electrical items and tech you get Business Tech Essentials. Which means if your essential tech - like laptops, mobiles or tablets - are stolen or damaged we'll replace them within 24 hours of claim approval.

    Cover & claim limits apply. Mon – Fri 8am – 6pm, except Bank holidays.

  • Business interruption

    If you can’t work at your usual premises due to an insured event such as fire or flood, business interruption will cover the extra costs of setting up somewhere else while your premises are being repaired. You’ll also be covered for loss of turnover for the period when you couldn’t work.

    If you rent a studio space for all your shoots, and it becomes damaged due to an insured event you’d lose out by not being able to work there. We’ll cover the extra costs of moving to another premises, and the loss of turnover if you lost business.

    Our business interruption cover can insure you if you or one of your key employees becomes seriously disabled and is unable to continue work, we will cover the incurred costs, up to £25,000, to minimise any interruption to the business.

  • Cyber cover

    If you hold sensitive customer data, process payments online or just want peace of mind, Cyber cover should be considered. Because cyber criminals can be clever. Catching you off-guard and tricking you in to doing something you shouldn't, like opening an attachment in a fake email, or finding a way through your cyber-security. If this happens and they get their hands on your data or access to your bank account, the impact on your business could be devastating.

    But, with our Cyber cover, you can call the experts, 24/7. They'll be on it, helping you to stay in business and recover in three ways following a cyber incident:

    Recover financially

    • Covering loss of business income
    • Covering recovery costs, like fixing damage to your computer systems or data restoration
    • Covering fines (where insurable by law) and compensation costs following a data breach

    Recover your reputation

    • You get access to public relations and crisis management experts to minimise damage to your brand and business.

    Recover your systems and help prevent future incidents

    • Technical experts will help fix your IT issues and provide advice on how to prevent future cyber incidents.

    Read more on Cyber cover here.

    Available on new and renewal policies only. For Retail and Office & Professional customers only.

  • Theft of takings

    If you receive cash or cheques from clients then you will need to cover your business against theft. This cover will pay out in the event money is stolen from you, your premises or anyone who works for you.

  • Legal expenses

How can we help?

Get a quote, talk to us via live chat or call us on
0345 605 9168.

Visit our contact us page to view our opening hours.

Policy documents

If you have an existing quote or policy with us, you can view and download your policy documents from the My Account page.

We tailor all our policies, so your documents only show what you’ve chosen to cover.

Below is a summary of a generic policy, from 25 October 2020 onwards, which shows the main covers and exclusions in our policies.