resizer image

Never beaten on price – guaranteed

We guarantee to beat any quote for the same cover.

New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying Criteria Apply. Terms & Conditions.

Shop Insurance

Don’t shop around for your shop insurance

Our insurance is ideal for shops and retail businesses, which sell stock or provide a service from their premises, such as hairdressers, florists, grocers and newsagents.

Our standard Shop Insurance is full of benefits to ensure you’re properly covered if something goes wrong in your shop. Our policy gives you the option to increase cover limits or add on cover to suit your individual needs, and includes public and products liability, employers’ liability and business contents cover as standard.

High level of standard cover

With our shop insurance, you can also increase many of the standard limits.

  • Public and products liability up to £2m.
    Why do I need public & products liability cover?
  • Business contents (e.g. shop counters, shelving, cash registers) and stock cover for any amount up to £250,000. Subject to limits on high-risk stock. (Security conditions may apply).
    Why do I need Business contents?
  • Employers' liability cover up to £10m
  • If you can’t trade due to an insured event such as a fire or flood, cover for loss of income up to £500,000 over a 12 month period
  • Cover for theft of business money at home or in transit
  • Up to £2,000 cover for goods in transit
  • Accidental damage to your shop contents
  • Direct Line for Business Legal Documents Service – unlimited online access to a large library of customisable legal documents, plus you can have the documents you create checked by a solicitor
  • No administration fees to pay

Optional extras

  • Your buildings (with a rebuild value up to £2m)
  • Loss of drinks licence
  • Saving you time with your quote

    Please ensure that the information provided by you is correct, and you comply with the statements on this page. If your circumstances change between the date you purchase the policy and the policy start date, please call us. Failure to do so may mean that your insurance policy is not valid or that we may not pay all or part of your claim(s).

    We don’t charge administration fees for mid-term changes to your policy.

    If you decide to cancel your policy during the period of insurance an administration fee for cancellation will apply amounting to 1/12th of your annual premium, up to a maximum of £50.00 (calculated at the time of cancellation, plus current rate of Insurance Premium Tax where applicable).

    The below statements are what you need to agree with for us to be able to offer you this insurance policy.

    Neither You, nor Your Directors nor Your partners:

    • have ever had a proposal for insurance declined, renewal refused, cover terminated, increased premium required or special conditions imposed by any Insurer
    • have ever been convicted of or charged (but not yet tried) with a breach of any health and safety legislation or any other criminal offence other than parking or speeding offences or offences which are spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
    • are subject to an outstanding County Court Judgement (or the Scottish equivalent)
    • are subject to bankruptcy or insolvency orders which are either outstanding or have been discharged for less than 5 years

    The below are important statements about the property your business operates from:

    • The walls of the buildings are built solely of brick, stone, or concrete
    • The roof of the building is built of slates, tiles, asphalt, concrete, metal, other incombustible materials
    • The fabric of The Premises does not require any repair or refurbishment to make them secure or water tight and will be so maintained
    • The buildings are in your sole occupation other than offices and private dwellings
    • The risk is not already insured by Direct Line
    • The level of security at your Premises meets our minimum security requirements
    • You have sole control over all doors and windows that access your Premises used by your business
    • The buildings are not Grade 1 Listed
    • There are no external Automated Teller Machines at the premises

    The buildings are not heated by:

    • waste oil heaters, straw or wood burners, coal fires
    • portable gas heaters (including LPG, Butane, Propane or similar)
    • portable oil fired heaters

    The below are important statements about your business:

    • You conduct your business from a shop or salon
    • You trade from a single premises

    If any of the assumptions above are not true please call us.

Policy documents

View and download policy documents here

The following policy documents apply to policies that were bought or renewed before 12 August 2016.

The following policy documents apply to policies that were bought or renewed on or after 12 August 2016.

Legal Document Service

Included as standard when you buy or renew a policy from 1st February 2016.

Register or log in to Direct Line for Business Legal Documents Service.

Get documents

Frequently asked questions

About Shop Insurance

  • QWhat is the Insurance Act 2015?

    The Insurance Act 2015 is a new piece of UK government legislation that becomes effective on the 12th August 2016. The purpose of this Act is to update the law in certain areas in line with best practise in the modern UK insurance market. To find out more and how it could affect you please go here:

  • QWhat is Insurance Premium Tax (IPT)?

    Insurance Premium Tax is a tax payable on insurance premiums and is set by the Government.

    All documents outlining premiums, such as quotations, show how much insurance premium tax you're being charged. However, not all UK residents pay the tax, such as anyone who resides in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man.

    Please note that HM Revenue and Customs has increased the rate of Insurance Premium Tax from 10% to 12%. This will affect all policies from 1st June 2017 and will be reflected in the renewal premium.

  • QHow long is a quote valid for?

    Your quote will be valid for 30 days from the day you receive it.

  • QHow far in advance can I get a quote?

    You can get a quote up to 30 days before you need the cover to start.

  • Q What if I don't have an email address?

    To get a quote online you’ll need to enter a valid email address. If you'd like help getting a quote, call us on 0345 303 1756.

  • Q What if I don't know the date of a past claim?

    If you’re unsure of the date of your claim(s) please get in touch with your current or previous insurer to find out. Or, you can enter an approximate date and then call us on 0345 303 1760 to change your claims details with the correct information.

  • Q What if I don't know the amount of my claim?

    If you are unsure what the amount of your claim(s) is please contact your current or previous insurance provider to find out. Alternatively you can enter an approximate cost and then contact us on 0345 303 1760 to amend your claims details with the correct information. Calls may be recorded.

  • Q What does Employer's Liability cover?

    This insures you against claims for compensation from employees following injury for which you are legally liable.

  • QWhat are the exclusions on this policy?

    Please refer to the policy summary document where we detail the general exclusions. For more details please refer to your policy wording or call our customer services department on 0345 303 1756.

  • QWhat are the standard excesses?

    Your individual excesses will be found in the 'Your Summary' page when you have completed the quote details or alternatively please call us on 0345 303 1756.

View more questions