resizer image

Hotel Insurance

Price beat guarantee

We guarantee to beat your new business quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

Excludes van. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying criteria apply. Terms & Conditions.

Hotel Insurance

Personalised Hotel Insurance from Direct Line for Business provides cover for hotels with up to 12 guest rooms. The policy includes public and products liability, business contents and stock insurance as standard. Public and products liability covers injury to guests or other members of the public, and damage to their property in and around your hotel, including goods you supply.

You can add optional covers to your policy, such as:

  • Employers’ liability to cover you in case your employees get injured or ill in the course of working at your hotel
  • Buildings insurance to cover damage to the hotel building
  • Business interruption insurance to cover lost turnover, if an insured event occurs, which means you have to partially or fully close your hotel
  • Cover limits will apply

Get personalised cover for your hotel

Managing a successful hotel can be as demanding as it is satisfying. And as with any type of business, it comes with its own set of risks, from theft, to injury to guests, to damage to the hotel building and its contents.

That’s why your hotel needs the right insurance for the risks it faces every day.

At Direct Line for Business we provide personalised Hotel Insurance for hotels with up to 12 guest rooms. You can create the right policy by choosing the cover features personalised to your hotel.

Some insurers like to sell you one-size-fits-all cover. Not us. That’s why we let you create a policy that’s personalised to your business. So, you can cover everything you want – from pool tables to swimming pools. And the great thing is that you only pay for what you want and nothing more.

And if at any point you want to remove or add any cover, you can do so whenever you need to – with no admin fees to pay.

Make sure that your rooms are always available

We know that if there is damage to a room the first thing you want to do is get it fixed – so you can book out the room.

That’s why with our cover, we let you get on with repairs of up to £1,500 as long as the claim is covered under your policy and then you tell us about them afterwards. Cover exclusions such as wear and tear apply and you may be responsible for a policy excess. Photographs of damage and repair docs required but in the case of equipment breakdown claims such as on a boiler or an air-conditioning unit, policyholders should retain replaced parts to allow us to inspect them. Boiler and air conditioning units are covered when optional buildings insurance selected.

Read on to find out about some of the insurance features you can choose from.

Our standard cover

  • Public and products liability insurance for hotels

    Our Hotel policies come with public and products liability insurance as standard. This policy feature is designed to cover your business if any of your guests suffers physical injuries, food poisoning or other illnesses due to staying at your hotel. It also covers your legal liability in connection with your business for damage caused to property belonging to your guests or members of the public.

    Our public and products liability will cover your legal costs and if you’re found to be responsible, any compensation up to your chosen limit as well as the claimant’s legal costs.

  • Business contents and stock

    This covers your hotel’s business contents, such as furniture, bed linen, televisions and stock such as wines and spirits and toiletries you give to your guests, for damage by fire, flood or any other insured event. It extends to cover your guests’ possessions while they’re at your hotel.

    Business contents and stock insurance includes equipment breakdown and will reimburse you for repairs and replacements of appliances like dishwashers, fridges or freezers owned by or the responsibility of the business if they break down and it’s not due to wear and tear.

    Your home contents are not the same as your business contents. You will need to insure your home contents under the optional household contents cover if this is required. Cover limits apply.

  • Guest effects

    This feature will cover your business against loss or damage to your guests’ and employees’ personal possessions at your hotel if you’re legally liable.

    This covers loss or damage to your guests’ and employees’ property:

    • Up to £5,000 per person for personal effects
    • Up to £25,000 per motor vehicle
    • Up to £100,000 per claim

Hotel Insurance – cover options

With our new online tool you can choose the cover features that you want and build your own entirely personalised policy.

Find out more about some of the optional insurance features that you can choose from (additional premiums apply):

  • Hotel buildings

    With our buildings insurance, you can insure your main hotel building, against damage caused by natural disasters and other insured events such as fire and escape of water. This includes completely rebuilding the property if it was damaged beyond repair.

    If you take out buildings cover you will be covered for equipment breakdown cover which pays to repair or replace your boiler and other built-in appliances like burglar alarm and air conditioning systems as long as the damage is not caused due to wear and tear. You need to organise the repair yourself. Cover limits apply.

  • Business interruption

    If you’re forced to close part of, or your entire hotel, due to an insured cause, such as fire or flood, damaging your building, equipment or stock, then this cover feature will compensate you for the turnover you lose as a result of not being able to trade.

    It'll also replace lost turnover following damage by an insured cause to an attraction within 25 miles of your premises - leading to a reduction in the number of your potential guests. Cover limits apply.

  • Theft of takings

    This feature will cover your business money and damage to your employees’ clothes and personal effects as a result of theft or attempted theft of money in your hotel and elsewhere. Cover limits apply.

  • Legal expenses

  • Employers' liability

    This feature covers your legal expenses incurred when your employees get ill or injured whilst working for you.

    If you have people working for you it's important to understand your responsibility under the Employers' Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969 (ELCA) which makes it compulsory for employers to have Employers' Liability insurance. The ELCA act can be found here, it includes details of what counts as an 'employee' and organisations that are exempt.

Our phone lines are open all week including weekends from 8am - 8pm on weekdays, 9am - 5pm on Saturdays, and 10am - 4pm on Sundays.

If you’d like to spread the cost of your policy in your first year with us you can pay monthly for your Hotel Insurance at no extra cost (Subject to eligibility. 18s and over. 0.0% APR representative.) There’s also no minimum premium amount for you to qualify to pay by Direct Debit.

Just starting out as a hotel and want to get insured? You don't need to be registered with any associations to get our Hotel Insurance.

Policy documents

If you have an existing quote or policy with us, you can view and download your policy documents from the My Account page.

We tailor all our policies, so your documents only show what you’ve chosen to cover.

Below is a summary of a generic policy, from 15th July 2018 onwards, which shows the main covers and exclusions in our policies.

Bed & Breakfast and Guest House Insurance

Direct Line for Business provides cover for a wide range of bed & breakfast and guest houses, with up to 12 guest rooms.

Find out more

Frequently asked questions

  • QWhat is the Insurance Act 2015?

    The Insurance Act 2015 is a new piece of UK government legislation that becomes effective on the 12th August 2016. The purpose of this Act is to update the law in certain areas in line with best practise in the modern UK insurance market. To find out more and how it could affect you please go here:

  • QWhat is Insurance Premium Tax (IPT)?

    Insurance Premium Tax is a tax payable on insurance premiums and is set by the Government.

    All documents outlining premiums, such as quotations, show how much insurance premium tax you're being charged. However, not all UK residents pay the tax, such as anyone who resides in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man.

    Please note that HM Revenue and Customs has increased the rate of Insurance Premium Tax from 10% to 12%. This will affect all policies from 1st June 2017 and will be reflected in the renewal premium.

  • QHow long is a quote valid for?

    Your quote is valid for up to 30 days from the day you receive it.

  • QHow far in advance can I get a quote?

    You can get a quote up to 30 days before you need the cover to start.

  • Q What if I don't have an email address?

    To get a quote online you’ll need to enter a valid email address. If you'd like help getting a quote, call us on 0345 303 1762.

View more questions