Arts & crafters insurance

12 months for the price of 10

When quoted online. New policies only. Introductory discount applied over the first 12 months. Other available discounts will be applied consecutively. Excludes Landlord and Van policies. Ends 3rd Nov 2021.

Stolen laptop? Damaged mobile? We'll replace your essential tech within 24hrs of claim approval, with Business Tech Essentials.

Cover & claim limits apply. Mon – Fri 8am – 6pm, except Bank holidays

  • Get 10% off business insurance if you're already a Direct Line customer.

    Discount applies to your new business policy. Discounts applied consecutively.

  • We can cover you if you work at home, in your studio, selling at fairs or online.
  • No admin fees if you need to make changes to your policy.
  • 0% APR on your monthly direct debit payments in the first year.

    New customers only, over 18s, subject to eligibility.

  • We won't be beaten on price. We'll beat your new business insurance quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

    New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying criteria apply. Terms & Conditions.

Arts and Crafts Insurance that works for you

Crafting has become big business in the UK, as more and more people are starting to make money from their creativity. Whether you make your living from your handicraft or view it as a passion project, if you sell your work, you need insurance cover.

Even if you don’t see yourself as a business, you’re as open to legal action as any big company. For example, if a piece came loose from one of your crafts, it could cause injury to a customer. If a claim was made against you, you could be faced with some extremely expensive costs.

Our Arts and Crafts Insurance policy can be customised to suit your business, so you’re only paying for what you need.

Whether you choose to insure your products, your equipment or your premises, you’ll only have to pay one monthly or annual premium, with one renewal date. It couldn’t be easier.

Get a quote
or call us on 0345 605 9168

Confused by an insurance term? Look it up in our
jargon buster

Your cover options

Add any of the following cover options to your Arts and Crafts Insurance to create an insurance policy that precisely fits your business needs. These covers are subject to policy conditions and limits.

  • Public and product liability

    Public liability covers you if a member of the public is accidentally injured by you or your staff. This could be someone tripping over items at your stall or your stand falling onto them.

    Product liability covers you if someone becomes ill or injured as a result of the products you make and sell.

    We offer public and product liability from £1 million to £10 million, subject to criteria.

    Proof of public liability insurance for craft fairs and market stalls is often required by event organisers before you’re allowed to set up a pitch. When you insure with us, you can download proof of your policy the moment you set it up.

  • Employers' liability

    In the majority of cases, holding valid employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you have employees. This covers the costs you have to pay if an employee gets injured or becomes ill because of the work they do for you and decides to make a claim against you.

    It doesn’t matter if your employee works for you on a one-off basis at a craft fair or helps you full-time at your studio, they still need cover. At Direct Line for Business, we will cover you for £10 million, as standard.

  • Buildings cover

    In the event of an insured event such as a flood or fire at your premises, buildings insurance will cover the cost of the repairs or reinstatement, this includes debris removal and architect’s fees.

    Equipment breakdown cover is included as standard, so if your equipment (that forms part of the building) breaks down, we’ll cover the cost of the repair or replacing items. Equipment could include things like boilers and fire/burglar alarms, but we won’t cover breakdown due to wear and tear.

  • Contents and stock

    Contents and stock cover can form a valuable part of your Arts and Crafts Insurance. It can cover all your electrical items and specialist equipment, like sewing machines, woodworking tools and even tills.

    If you keep your tools or raw materials at home, you need them covered - especially if you rely on them on a daily basis.

    We also offer cover that allows you to insure your business contents on the go, away from your work premises, whether you work at multiple locations or travel to a lot of craft fairs or exhibitions.

    And now with Business Tech Essentials, if your essential tech is stolen or damaged, we'll replace it within 24 hours from claim approval.

    When you cover your electrical items and tech you get Business Tech Essentials. Which means if your essential tech - like laptops, mobiles or tablets - are stolen or damaged we'll replace them within 24 hours of claim approval.

    Cover & claim limits apply. Mon – Fri 8am – 6pm, except Bank holidays.

  • Business interruption

    As a craftsperson, you might work from home, in a studio or a shared working space. If your working premises become unusable due to an insured event like a fire or flood, business interruption will cover the extra costs of working elsewhere until you can return to your regular premises. It can also cover lost turnover while you’re unable to trade.

    We also cover you if an event you are trading at, such as a craft fair, gets cancelled because the venue is damaged, resulting in a loss of business for you.

    Our business interruption cover can insure you if you or one of your key employees becomes seriously disabled and is unable to continue work. We will cover the incurred costs, up to £25,000, to minimise any interruption to the business.

  • Theft of takings

    This policy will cover you in case of theft of takings from you or anyone working for you, whether you’re at home or craft fairs.

  • Cyber cover

    If you hold sensitive customer data, process payments online or just want peace of mind, Cyber cover should be considered. Because cyber criminals can be clever. Catching you off-guard and tricking you in to doing something you shouldn't, like opening an attachment in a fake email, or finding a way through your cyber-security. If this happens and they get their hands on your data or access to your bank account, the impact on your business could be devastating.

    But, with our Cyber cover, you can call the experts, 24/7. They'll be on it, helping you to stay in business and recover in three ways:

    Recover financially

    • Covering loss of business income if your systems are attacked
    • Covering recovery costs, like fixing damage to your computer systems or data restoration
    • Covering fines (where insurable by law) and compensation costs.

    Recover your reputation

    • You get access to public relations and crisis management experts to minimise damage to your brand and business.

    Recover your systems and help prevent future incidents

    • Technical experts will help fix your IT issues and provide advice on how to prevent future cyber incidents.

    Read more on Cyber cover here.

    Available on new and renewal policies only. For Retail and Office & Professional customers only.

  • Legal expenses

  • Personal accident

    Personal accident cover provides payment if anyone in your business between the ages 16-75 is unable to work because they've been injured in an accident, whether in a business or personal capacity.

    We'll pay a lump sum of £50,000 if there is an accidental death, accidental loss of limbs or sight, or if someone in your business becomes permanently disabled following an accident.

    If someone in your business is unable to work due to a temporary injury, then after 7 days we'll pay their normal net weekly earnings up to £500 for up to 104 weeks.

    You can choose Personal Accident as an add-on once you've completed your quote.

How can we help?

Get a quote, talk to us via live chat or call us on
0345 605 9168.

Visit our contact us page to view our opening hours.

Frequently asked questions

  • If you’re making and selling crafts from home then you are most likely not covered by your home insurance. If your workspace or specialist equipment was damaged or destroyed by fire or flood, you would be unable to claim for them under your home policy.

    If you add contents or buildings cover to your Direct Line for Business Arts and Crafts policy, you will be able to recover your building repair costs and replace expensive items like sewing machines, pottery wheels and looms following an insured event such as a fire, flood or theft.

  • Craft fair organisers will often ask to see proof of stallholder insurance before they allow you to pitch your stall. What this means in practice is that you need to have public and product liability on your policy. When you take out your insurance policy with Direct Line for Business, you can download evidence of your cover instantly so you can provide proof of cover minutes after you sign up for it.

    If you employ anyone to help you at the craft fair, even on a casual basis, then you are legally required to have employers' liability insurance. There are some exceptions to this rule and further details can be found here.

  • We don’t provide stallholder insurance for one day events. This is because if someone is injured because of your product, you need to be covered for the day the damage occurred, not just the day of purchase. We can cover one day events as part of an annual policy, but not on a one day policy or short period policy.

Policy documents

If you have an existing quote or policy with us, you can view and download your policy documents from the My Account page.

We tailor all our policies, so your documents only show what you’ve chosen to cover.

Below is a summary of a generic policy, from 25 October 2020 onwards, which shows the main covers and exclusions in our policies.