Personalised insurance for web designers and app developers

Get creative with your insurance and design a policy that works for your business.

Join over 500,000 businesses who trust us with their insurance.

  • Get 10% off business insurance if you’re already a Direct Line customer.

    Discount applies to your new business insurance policy. Subject to minimum premiums.

  • We cover you whether you work from home, your office, at your clients’ premises or in a shared working space.
  • No admin fees if you need to make changes to your policy.
  • 0% APR on your monthly direct debit payments in the first year.

    New customers only, over 18s, subject to eligibility.

  • We won't be beaten on price. We'll beat your new business insurance quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

    New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying criteria apply. Terms & Conditions.

Customisable insurance for web designers and app developers

Whether you work the front or back-end, web and app development is a highly specialised profession. Your clients might not have a lot of experience when it comes to creating or managing online platforms, and may rely heavily on your expertise. While this means your work is sought after, it also means that if something goes wrong, you could be held responsible.

That’s why it’s important to have the right insurance in place, so if any of your clients believe you have been negligent and decide to make a claim, you’re covered.

There are many different areas that could result in difficulties for developers. Every day you deal with confidential data, vulnerable systems and other people’s intellectual property. Even the best programmers can make mistakes, so being prepared for the unexpected is a must.

For example, if you’ve been contracted to revamp a client’s e-trading platform and a coding error causes the whole site to lose function for a day, your client could potentially sue you for their lost earnings and reputational damage.

Fortunately, Direct Line for Business offers flexible insurance policies that respond to the specific needs of your business. You can pick and choose from a range of cover options to make sure you’re covered for the key risks associated with your line of work, without paying for insurance you don’t need. Just use our simple online quote tool to find out how easy it is to create your own policy.

What elements of my business should I cover?

Because of the fast-paced and competitive nature of your work, professional indemnity insurance is popular with developers. It can cover your legal fees and any compensation the court instructs you to pay in the event that you are sued for negligence.

It’s also important to consider covering your electronics. As a developer, having working computer equipment is critical to completing tasks. If something is damaged you’ll need to replace it quickly and this could be costly. If your equipment is lost, damaged or stolen, contents and stock cover will pay for the cost of replacing the items, so you won’t be out of pocket or needlessly delayed when you’re working to a tight deadline.

You also have the option to insure certain items when you’re out and about, ideal if you need to work on-site with a client.

See what you can include in your insurance policy below.

Get a quote
or call us on 0345 878 5622

Your cover options

Add any of these cover options to your Web Designer and App Developers’ Insurance to create a personalised policy that works for you. These covers are subject to policy conditions and limits.

  • Professional indemnity

    Professional indemnity covers the legal costs and compensation payments you are required to pay if a client makes a claim against you for professional negligence. They could even make a claim against you if you make a mistake.

    For instance, if you use creative work that you thought was licensed under Creative Commons but it turns out to be under copyright, you could face an expensive legal hassle and embarrassed clients.

  • Public liability

    If you accidentally injure your client or a member of the public, or damage their property, during the course of your work day, your business could be vulnerable to legal action. Adding public liability to your policy will cover your expenses if you are sued for damages.

    This cover is especially key for web professionals that work face-to-face with their clients; for instance it would cover you if a client or member of the public tripped over your laptop cable and injured themselves. We can offer cover from £1 million to £10 million.

  • Employers' liability

    If you hire anyone to help with your business, employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement. This includes anyone you employ on a temporary basis. You can read about the exceptions to this rule here.

    If someone who worked for you gets injured or becomes ill because of their work duties, employers’ liability will cover your costs if an employee makes a claim against you. At Direct Line for Business, we will cover you for £10 million, as standard.

  • Buildings cover

    If an insured event, such as fire or flood, damages your work premises, buildings insurance will cover the costs of repairing the damage so you can get back to work. Buildings cover can also pay for debris removal and any architects’ fees.

    Our buildings cover also includes breakdown cover, as standard (for items forming part of the building). So if, for example, your boiler broke down, we would cover the cost of repairing it, so you can get your business up and running again speedily. The breakdown must not be due to wear and tear.

  • Contents and stock

    You can insure your office equipment, electronic equipment and furniture, with our contents and stock cover. This can include expensive and specialist equipment. You need to make sure to include all the items within the sum insured on your policy.

    If you run your business from home, it’s important to note that your business items are not likely to be covered under your home insurance policy. This means that if your computers, servers and tablets are stolen or destroyed, you need business contents cover to make sure you’re insured for the cost of their replacement.

  • Business interruption

    If your work premises are damaged by an insured event such as fire, flood or theft, business interruption will cover the costs you incur setting up elsewhere. It will also cover your loss of turnover if you can’t work.

    If you have one main client, and their premises are damaged causing them to cease trading, business interruption will cover the loss of turnover from losing this client, up to a limit of £50,000.

    Our business interruption cover can also insure you if you or one of your key employees becomes seriously disabled and is unable to continue work, we will cover the incurred costs, up to £25,000, to minimise any interruption to the business.

  • Cyber cover

    Cyber insurance is important if you rely on technology to run your business. We cover you for the costs you face as a result of cyber crime, compensation and defence costs for a data breach or unintentional transmission of a virus, as well as loss of income following a cyber attack.

    We also provide access to IT forensics and data recovery experts, plus specialist support for PR and crisis management, identity theft assistance and specialist advice to prevent viruses or hacking attacks after an incident.

  • Theft of takings

    If you deal in physical cash you need to insure against theft. This cover will pay out in the event money or cheques are stolen from you, your premises or anyone who works for you.

  • Legal expenses

How can we help?

Get a quote, talk to us via live chat or call us on
0345 878 5622.

Visit our contact us page to view our opening hours.

Policy documents

If you have an existing quote or policy with us, you can view and download your policy documents from the My Account page.

We tailor all our policies, so your documents only show what you’ve chosen to cover.

Below is a summary of a generic policy, from 15 July 2018 until 31 March 2019, which shows the main covers and exclusions in our policies.

Below is a summary of a generic policy, from 1 April 2019 onwards, which shows the main covers and exclusions in our policies.