Personalised supermarket insurance that's not off the shelf

Price beat guarantee

We guarantee to beat your new insurance quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

To redeem and for full Terms & Conditions, click here.

New customer only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Excludes policies with home emergency cover added. Qualifying criteria apply.

Stolen laptop? Damaged mobile? We'll replace your essential tech within 24hrs of claim approval, with Business Tech Essentials.

Cover & claim limits apply. Mon – Fri 8am – 6pm, except Bank holidays

  • As standard, we'll give you an extra 25% of stock cover for two months of your choosing - good for busy periods like Christmas.
  • 0% APR on your monthly Direct Debit payments in the first year.

    Over 18s, subject to eligibility.

  • We won't be beaten on price. We'll beat your new business insurance quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

    New customer only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Excludes policies with home emergency cover added. Qualifying criteria apply. Terms & Conditions.

Get a quote
or call us on 0345 605 9168

Personalised insurance for your convenience

We know running a supermarket, off-licence, newsagents or grocery store is hard work. Especially in the ever-changing retail environment.

Despite doing so much to make your business a success, sometimes things go wrong. That’s where our personalised insurance for shops such as supermarkets can safeguard your business and protect you. If a customer trips on some boxes or your premises become unusable due to a burst pipe, your business will be in trouble.

Enjoy the peace of mind that, should the unexpected happen, we’ll be there to get your business up and running again as quickly as possible.

Go direct to the small business experts for added reassurance

Create your personal shopping list of cover

We know there are many variations between the 500,000 small businesses we already insure.

We also understand the difference between supermarkets, off-licences, and convenience stores, so unlike some insurers that offer an ‘off-the-shelf’ policy, you can personalise your insurance so that you only pay for what you need. For example, if you don’t have staff, you can leave employers’ liability off your policy. Or if you hold lots of cash at your premises, you can choose to insure against theft of takings.

One simple policy that’s easy to amend

The retail world is constantly changing. To help combat this, convenience store owners invested £814m last year to improve their shops and attract customers. All of which might mean updating insurance policies to stay covered.

To make this easy for you, you’ll have just one policy and one renewal date that you can change whenever you need, without amendment fees.

So if you purchase an expensive new till and want to protect it, or if business is booming and you need to insure more stock, you can easily add these onto your policy.

To further simplify things, if you own multiple premises, you can put them all on one policy. Plus, your documents are available to download instantly, should you need to quickly display them in your shop.

Get a quote
or call us on 0345 605 9168

Confused by an insurance term? Look it up in our
jargon buster

Your cover options

You can add any of the below cover options to create an insurance policy that’s tailored to your business needs. These covers are subject to policy conditions and limits.

  • Public and product liability

    To insure you against the core risks associated with your business, public and product liability cover comes as standard with our insurance policies. We can cover you from £1 million to £10 million (subject to criteria) if someone sues you because they were injured on your premises, hurt by your products, or if you damage their property.

    All it takes is for someone to trip on a hidden step while entering your supermarket or slip on something spilt in your off-licence.

  • Buildings cover

    If you own your shop, you can insure the building on your business policy. Should your premises be damaged due to an insured event, such as a flood or fire, we'll pay for the costs of repair or rebuilding them. This also includes debris removal and architect fees.

    If you rent, you can choose to insure just the fixtures and fittings if you've added things like shelving and counters, or just your shop front if you're responsible for that as a tenant.

  • Contents and stock

    We understand your stock is often the lifeblood of your business. And that protecting it is very important to you. With contents and stock cover, you'll be able to replace your stock should something happen, whether it's stolen or damaged by a flood for example. What's more, we'll give you an extra 25% of stock cover for two months of your choosing, as standard. Perfect for busy periods such as Christmas.

    The contents side also means electrical items like expensive tills, furniture and other important equipment is covered.

    And now with Business Tech Essentials, if your essential tech is stolen or damaged, we'll replace it within 24 hours from claim approval.

    When you cover your electrical items and tech you get Business Tech Essentials. Which means if your essential tech - like laptops, mobiles or tablets - are stolen or damaged we'll replace them within 24 hours of claim approval.

    Cover & claim limits apply. Mon – Fri 8am – 6pm, except Bank holidays.

  • Employers' liability

    If you take on staff, employers' liability insurance is often legally required. It covers your legal costs in case an employee is injured, while lifting stock for example, or if they fall ill as a result of the work that they do for you. You'll receive £10 million of cover as standard with us.

    There are some exceptions to legally having to take out employers' liability insurance, which you can read about here.

  • Equipment breakdown cover

    Our equipment breakdown cover further includes repairing or replacing equipment that forms part of your building, providing the damage isn't due to wear and tear. This could be anything from a broken boiler to a faulty fire/burglar alarm.

    You'll need buildings or contents cover in order to receive equipment breakdown cover.

  • Theft of takings

    Losing hundreds or thousands of pounds can seriously impact your supermarket or shop. If you handle lots of cash during the day, theft of takings covers you in case it's stolen from you, your premises or a member of your staff.

  • Business interruption

    Whether you run a village greengrocers or an off-licence in town, if your premises become unusable it can severely affect your business, and you. With business interruption cover, if your building can't be used due to an insured event like a fire or flood, you can claim for loss of revenue and relocation costs.

    We can also cover you if your main supplier can't trade because their building, stock or equipment is damaged, resulting in a loss of business for you, up to a limit of £50,000.

  • If you hold sensitive customer data, process payments online or just want peace of mind, Cyber cover should be considered. Because cyber criminals can be clever. Catching you off-guard and tricking you in to doing something you shouldn't, like opening an attachment in a fake email, or finding a way through your cyber-security. If this happens and they get their hands on your data or access to your bank account, the impact on your business could be devastating.

    But, with our Cyber cover, you can call the experts, 24/7. They'll be on it, helping you to stay in business and recover in three ways following a cyber incident:

    Recover financially

    • Covering loss of business income
    • Covering recovery costs, like fixing damage to your computer systems or data restoration
    • Covering fines (where insurable by law) and compensation costs following a data breach

    Recover your reputation

    • You get access to public relations and crisis management experts to minimise damage to your brand and business.

    Recover your systems and help prevent future incidents

    • Technical experts will help fix your IT issues and provide advice on how to prevent future cyber incidents.

    Read more on Cyber cover here.

    Available on new and renewal policies only. For Retail and Office & Professional customers only.

  • Personal accident

    Personal accident cover provides payment if anyone in your business between the ages 16-75 is unable to work because they've been injured in an accident, whether in a business or personal capacity.

    We'll pay a lump sum of £50,000 if there is an accidental death, accidental loss of limbs or sight, or if someone in your business becomes permanently disabled following an accident.

    If someone in your business is unable to work due to a temporary injury, then after 7 days we'll pay their normal net weekly earnings up to £500 for up to 104 weeks.

    You can choose Personal Accident as an add-on once you've completed your quote.

  • Terrorism cover

    If you have commercial premises, you can extend your cover, for an additional premium, to include property damage as a result of an Act of Terrorism. We'll cover you up to the maximum sum insured on your policy for buildings, contents and business interruption (depending on which covers you have taken).

    This includes:

    • the rebuild of buildings damaged beyond repair
    • cover for damage or loss of your business contents, stock and computer equipment, to help you get back up and running.

    If you choose business interruption cover, you can extend this to include cover for reduced turnover and the costs of setting up elsewhere, due to damage to your premises resulting from an Act of Terrorism. It will also cover you not being able to access your premises as a result of an Act of Terrorism within 1 mile of your business.

    Acts of Terrorism are defined as damage caused by someone acting on behalf of, or in connection with, any organisation which uses force or violence to overthrow or influence the UK government.

    Terrorism cover is only available for properties located in England, Wales and Scotland.

    Terrorism insurance is optional, so an additional premium will apply.

    You can include Terrorism cover on your policy by adding it online or by calling us on 0345 301 5066 when you take out your policy or at renewal, as it cannot be added to your policy mid-term.

How can we help?

Get a quote, talk to us via live chat or call us on
0345 605 9168.

Visit our contact us page to view our opening hours.

Policy documents

If you have an existing quote or policy with us, you can view and download your policy documents from the My Account page.

We tailor all our policies, so your documents only show what you’ve chosen to cover.

Below is a summary of a generic policy, from 25 October 2020 onwards, which shows the main covers and exclusions in our policies.

Frequently asked questions