Personalised insurance for running a business from home

Price beat guarantee

We guarantee to beat your new insurance quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

To redeem and for full Terms & Conditions, click here.

New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying criteria apply.

Stolen laptop? Damaged mobile? We'll replace your essential tech within 24hrs of claim approval, with Business Tech Essentials.

Cover & claim limits apply. Mon – Fri 8am – 6pm, except Bank holidays

  • Insure your business and your home on one policy.
  • No admin fees if you need to make changes to your policy.
  • 0% APR on your monthly Direct Debit payments in the first year.

    Over 18s, subject to eligibility.

  • We won't be beaten on price. We'll beat your new business insurance quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

    New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying criteria apply. Terms & Conditions.

The right insurance for your home business

It's a common misconception that being self-employed and working from home means you don't need business insurance. If you're running your business from your home, the equipment and materials you use for work, as well as the services you provide, probably won't be covered by your home insurance. So, if something goes wrong, the only way to be sure that your business is covered is to hold a business insurance policy.

Precise cover designed by you

At Direct Line for Business, we understand that a home business may run a little differently to other types of businesses. That's why we provide flexible business insurance that you can customise yourself.

Only you know what your business needs to thrive. Our simple online quote tool allows you to pick and choose the different types of cover that your business needs. So you could insure your stock and equipment, cover your business against cyber security threats or take out insurance to protect against legal action relating to your services. Whether you design websites or bake cakes, you'll be able you to create a truly personalised policy that is just right for your business.

Your cover options

Add any of the following covers to your home business insurance policy to get the precise cover your business needs. These covers are subject to policy conditions and limits.

  • Professional indemnity

    Professional indemnity insurance covers your legal costs and compensation costs if a client accuses you of professional negligence. For example, if you're a consultant based at home and you give your client advice that causes them to lose business, or if you are an architect and you produce incorrect plans.

  • Public and product liability

    Public liability insurance covers you if you damage a client's property or someone injures themselves on your premises or because of your business activities. If you work from home but visit clients for part of your job, you'll want public liability in case of any accidents caused by you. For example, if you spill your coffee on your client's laptop or they trip over your laptop lead.

    Product liability insurance covers you if you supply a product that makes a customer ill or causes injury. If you sell to the public, it's important to have product liability cover, as your product could cause harm to the customer months or even years after the product was purchased.

    We can offer cover from £1 million to £10 million, subject to criteria.

  • Employers' liability

    Employers' liability covers the costs you are liable to pay if an employee becomes ill or injured because of the work they do for you.

  • Buildings insurance

    If you choose to insure your home and it becomes damaged, this policy will cover the costs of repairs. The damage would need to be caused by an insured event, such as a fire or flood, and can help pay for debris removal and architect fees.

    Equipment breakdown cover (for items that form part of the building) is featured as standard. This covers the cost of repairing or replacing damaged items, such as a boiler, fire or burglar alarm. However, the damage must not be due to wear and tear.

  • Contents and stock cover

    When you work from home, you may want to cover your stock and business equipment. This policy will cover the cost of replacing stolen or damaged stock, electrical equipment, business furniture, art and documents. When you insure stock at your premises or home, you'll also get an extra 25% of stock covered for two months of your choice as standard, ideal for your busiest periods.

    We can insure the key pieces of equipment that your business depends on, whether that's pottery kilns, computer equipment or fabric.

    We also offer a cover option that allows you to insure these items on the go, so if your work laptop fell on the ground (for example) and broke, we'd cover the cost of replacing it.

    As long you've insured your business contents or stock with us, we'll also give you the option of insuring your household contents and personal belongings too, so you can insure everything in your home on one policy.

    And now with Business Tech Essentials, if your essential tech is stolen or damaged, we'll replace it within 24 hours from claim approval.

    When you cover your electrical items and tech you get Business Tech Essentials. Which means if your essential tech - like laptops, mobiles or tablets - are stolen or damaged we'll replace them within 24 hours of claim approval.

    Cover & claim limits apply. Mon – Fri 8am – 6pm, except Bank holidays.

  • Business interruption

    If your home suffers an insured event such as a flood or fire, your home and work life is turned upside down. While our buildings cover would take care of repairing the damage and making sure you've got somewhere to live and work, our business interruption cover makes sure you're not working at a loss due to the disruption your business suffered. We'll pay for the costs of setting your home business up elsewhere, and cover your lost turnover.

    Our business interruption cover can insure you if you or one of your key employees becomes seriously disabled and is unable to continue work. We will cover the incurred costs, up to £25,000, to minimise any interruption to the business.

    We can also cover you if your main supplier can’t trade because their building, equipment or stock is damaged, which results in a loss of business for you, up to a limit of £50,000.

  • Cyber cover

    If you hold sensitive customer data, process payments online or just want peace of mind, Cyber cover should be considered. Because cyber criminals can be clever. Catching you off-guard and tricking you in to doing something you shouldn't, like opening an attachment in a fake email, or finding a way through your cyber-security. If this happens and they get their hands on your data or access to your bank account, the impact on your business could be devastating.

    But, with our Cyber cover, you can call the experts, 24/7. They'll be on it, helping you to stay in business and recover in three ways following a cyber incident:

    Recover financially

    • Covering loss of business income
    • Covering recovery costs, like fixing damage to your computer systems or data restoration
    • Covering fines (where insurable by law) and compensation costs following a data breach

    Recover your reputation

    • You get access to public relations and crisis management experts to minimise damage to your brand and business.

    Recover your systems and help prevent future incidents

    • Technical experts will help fix your IT issues and provide advice on how to prevent future cyber incidents.

    Read more on Cyber cover here.

    Available on new and renewal policies only. For Retail and Office & Professional customers only.

  • Theft of takings

    If your work involves taking a lot of cash in hand, or even cheques, this policy will cover you in case of theft from you, your home or anyone working for you.

    We cover up to £1,000 of takings at markets and pop-ups, provided the cash is securely locked away when not completing a transaction and not left unattended. You must also keep copies of all receipts issued to your customers.

  • Legal expenses

Policy documents

If you have an existing quote or policy with us, you can view and download your policy documents from the My Account page.

We tailor all our policies, so your documents only show what you’ve chosen to cover.

Below is a summary of a generic policy, from 25 October 2020 onwards, which shows the main covers and exclusions in our policies.