Estate agents & Property Letting/ Management insurance

Price beat guarantee

We guarantee to beat your new insurance quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

To redeem and for full Terms & Conditions, click here.

New customer only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Excludes policies with home emergency cover added. Qualifying criteria apply.

Stolen laptop? Damaged mobile? We'll replace your essential tech within 24hrs of claim approval, with Business Tech Essentials.

Cover & claim limits apply. Mon – Fri 8am – 6pm, except Bank holidays

  • Whether you're leading property viewings or doing admin in the office, we'll cover you.
  • No admin fees if you need to make changes to your policy.
  • 0% APR on your monthly Direct Debit payments in the first year.

    Over 18s, subject to eligibility.

  • We won't be beaten on price. We'll beat your new business insurance quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

    New customer only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Excludes policies with home emergency cover added. Qualifying criteria apply. Terms & Conditions.

Build your own insurance policy

Building a successful career in property letting or as an estate agent requires expert judgement and a sound knowledge of your industry. But being relied upon to give helpful recommendations can also have legal implications.

If you make the wrong call or give bad advice to a client, you could find yourself facing a claim. It’s important to have the right insurance in place, so that if this happens you can continue running your business without worrying about expensive legal costs and compensation claims.

If you’re hosting property viewings, it’s also important to cover yourself in case of accidental damage to someone else’s home. If you spill coffee over a client’s carpet or knock over an expensive sculpture, you will be liable for the repair or replacement.

At Direct Line for Business, you can personalise your insurance using our online quote tool to make sure that you’re covered for all aspects of your business. Being able to pick and choose the types of cover you include in your policy also means that you only pay for what you need.

Your cover options

You can include any of the following cover options in your Estate Agents and Property Management Insurance to create an insurance policy that fits your business’s needs. These covers are subject to policy conditions and limits.

  • Professional indemnity

    If you make a mistake, lose confidential documents or give advice that is deemed to be negligent, a client could file a lawsuit against you. Professional indemnity insurance covers any legal and compensation costs you are liable to pay.

    Our professional indemnity insurance meets the requirements of many of the major estate and letting agent professional bodies, including:

    • National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA)
    • Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA)
    • National Approved Letting Scheme (NALS)
  • Public liability

    A lot of your working life is spent at other people’s properties so it’s important that you cover yourself in case you accidentally damage a client’s building. Public liability also covers you if a member of the public injures themselves while in your office. For example, if they fall on a slippery floor and break their ankle. If they make a claim, this insurance would cover your costs.

    Public liability will also pay for the replacement of locks and keys to the properties on your books in the event of theft from your office, so you and your clients can sleep easy.

    We can offer cover from £1 million to £10 million.

  • Employers' liability

    This covers you if an employee gets injured or becomes ill because of the work they do for you. If they pursue legal action against your business, employers’ liability will cover the compensation. Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you have employees. You can read more about this, and the exceptions to this rule, on our employers’ liability page.

    At Direct Line for Business, we will cover you for £10 million, as standard.

  • Buildings cover

    If there is an insured event such as flood or fire in your office and the space becomes damaged, buildings insurance can help you minimise your losses. It can pay for the repairs, including debris removal and any architects’ fees, or reinstatement. This could also include if you rent the office and have fixtures and fittings like fixed shelving or kitchens.

    Equipment breakdown cover (for items forming part of the building) is included as standard, so if equipment breaks down and you need to repair or replace items, this policy will cover the costs. Equipment could include boilers and fire/burglar alarms, and the breakdown must not be due to wear and tear.

  • Contents and equipment cover

    If you rent or own an office, you may want to cover your office contents, equipment and documents. You can also cover your expensive electrical items in case of damage, breakdown (excluding wear and tear) or theft.

    We also offer a cover option that allows you to insure these items on the go, which is helpful if you go on site visits or work at different places. If your work laptop fell on the ground and the screen cracked, we’d cover the cost of replacing it.

    And now with Business Tech Essentials, if your essential tech is stolen or damaged, we'll replace it within 24 hours from claim approval.

    When you cover your electrical items and tech you get Business Tech Essentials. Which means if your essential tech - like laptops, mobiles or tablets - are stolen or damaged we'll replace them within 24 hours of claim approval.

    Cover & claim limits apply. Mon – Fri 8am – 6pm, except Bank holidays.

  • Business interruption

    If your office becomes unusable due to an insured event like a fire or flood, business interruption covers the extra cost of setting up somewhere else, so you’re able to still set up viewings and complete deals. If you’ve insured your office, we’ll also cover the loss of turnover you might face while you move premises.

    Our business interruption cover can insure you if you or one of your key employees becomes seriously disabled and is unable to continue work. We will cover the incurred costs, up to £25,000, to minimise any interruption to the business.

  • Theft of takings

    Some customers and tenants choose to pay their rent in cash. This will cover you in case of theft from your premises. This includes business takings stolen from you or anyone working for you.

  • Cyber cover

    If you hold sensitive customer data, process payments online or just want peace of mind, Cyber cover should be considered. Because cyber criminals can be clever. Catching you off-guard and tricking you in to doing something you shouldn't, like opening an attachment in a fake email, or finding a way through your cyber-security. If this happens and they get their hands on your data or access to your bank account, the impact on your business could be devastating.

    But, with our Cyber cover, you can call the experts, 24/7. They'll be on it, helping you to stay in business and recover in three ways following a cyber incident:

    Recover financially

    • Covering loss of business income
    • Covering recovery costs, like fixing damage to your computer systems or data restoration
    • Covering fines (where insurable by law) and compensation costs following a data breach

    Recover your reputation

    • You get access to public relations and crisis management experts to minimise damage to your brand and business.

    Recover your systems and help prevent future incidents

    • Technical experts will help fix your IT issues and provide advice on how to prevent future cyber incidents.

    Read more on Cyber cover here.

    Available on new and renewal policies only. For Retail and Office & Professional customers only.

  • Legal expenses

  • Personal accident

    Personal accident cover provides payment if anyone in your business between the ages 16-75 is unable to work because they've been injured in an accident, whether in a business or personal capacity.

    We'll pay a lump sum of £50,000 if there is an accidental death, accidental loss of limbs or sight, or if someone in your business becomes permanently disabled following an accident.

    If someone in your business is unable to work due to a temporary injury, then after 7 days we'll pay their normal net weekly earnings up to £500 for up to 104 weeks.

    You can choose Personal Accident as an add-on once you've completed your quote.

  • Terrorism cover

    If you have commercial premises, you can extend your cover, for an additional premium, to include property damage as a result of an Act of Terrorism. We'll cover you up to the maximum sum insured on your policy for buildings, contents and business interruption (depending on which covers you have taken).

    This includes:

    • the rebuild of buildings damaged beyond repair
    • cover for damage or loss of your business contents, stock and computer equipment, to help you get back up and running.

    If you choose business interruption cover, you can extend this to include cover for reduced turnover and the costs of setting up elsewhere, due to damage to your premises resulting from an Act of Terrorism. It will also cover you not being able to access your premises as a result of an Act of Terrorism within 1 mile of your business.

    Acts of Terrorism are defined as damage caused by someone acting on behalf of, or in connection with, any organisation which uses force or violence to overthrow or influence the UK government.

    Terrorism cover is only available for properties located in England, Wales and Scotland.

    Terrorism insurance is optional, so an additional premium will apply.

    You can include Terrorism cover on your policy by adding it online or by calling us on 0345 301 5066 when you take out your policy or at renewal, as it cannot be added to your policy mid-term.

How can we help?

Get a quote, talk to us via live chat or call us on
0345 878 5622.

Visit our contact us page to view our opening hours.

Frequently asked questions

  • QWhat kind of professions does Direct Line for Business cover?

    We provide the following:

    • Estate agents’ insurance
    • Property letting agents’ insurance
    • Property letting managers’ insurance
    • Property managers’ insurance

    Don’t see your occupation listed above? Select your profession on our online quote tool to find out what insurance is available for your business. If you get stuck, give us a call on 0345 8785 622.

  • QAre there any activities you don’t cover?

    We don't cover any manual work, including:

    • property presentation or property styling
    • moving furniture
    • undertaking repairs
    • repairs done by a tradesperson contracted or employed by you

    However, we will cover you when you’re putting up and taking down your company’s For Sale or To Let signs.

Policy documents

If you have an existing quote or policy with us, you can view and download your policy documents from the My Account page.

We tailor all our policies, so your documents only show what you’ve chosen to cover.

Below is a summary of a generic policy, from 25 October 2020 onwards, which shows the main covers and exclusions in our policies.