Cake makers & decorators insurance from under £5 a month

From public and product liability to contents and stock cover, you choose the ingredients that go into your policy.

30% of customers paid £50 or less for their Public Liability insurance for a 12-month policy between June 2019 – June 2020. We offer 0% APR on your monthly direct debit payments in the first year. Subject to credit agreement, must be aged 18 years and over.

Join over 500,000 businesses who trust us with their insurance.

  • Get 10% off business insurance if you’re already a Direct Line customer.

    Discount applies to your new business insurance policy. Subject to minimum premiums.

  • Pick and choose from a range of cover options to build your own policy.
  • We can cover you if you work at home, from your shop, and at events and fairs.
  • No admin fees if you need to make changes to your policy.
  • 0% APR on your monthly direct debit payments in the first year.

    Over 18s, subject to eligibility.

  • We won't be beaten on price. We'll beat your new business insurance quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

    New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying criteria apply. Terms & Conditions.

Protect your passion

Even if you view your cake business as a hobby, if you sell to the public, it’s important to have insurance.

If the wedding cake you’ve made gets damaged in transit or a customer becomes ill after eating one of your creations, you could face some very unhappy clients and a compensation claim. Plus, if a vital piece of equipment breaks, you’ll have to contend with some unexpected costs.

Having business insurance in place can help you fix problems quickly and safeguard your finances. Plus, we let you choose exactly what type of cover goes into your policy, so whether you work alone in your kitchen or run a cake shop with employees, you’re covered if you get into a sticky situation.

Get a quote
or call us on 0345 605 9168

Your cover options

You can include any of the following cover types in your cake maker and decorator insurance policy. These covers are subject to policy conditions and limits.

  • Public and product liability

    Public liability covers you if a member of the public is injured at your premises or you cause damage to their property. For example, if a customer slips on a wet floor in your shop or if a member of the public trips over a crate left next to your stall, public liability will cover the resulting compensation or legal costs.

    Product liability covers you if anyone becomes ill after eating one of your cakes and makes a claim against you.

    Public and product liability cover comes as standard with our cake maker insurance. We can offer cover from £1 million to £10 million (subject to criteria).

  • Employers' liability

    In most cases, employers' liability insurance is a legal requirement if you have employees. This also includes temporary employees hired to help you with a particular event.

    Employers' liability insurance covers the costs you have to pay if an employee gets injured or becomes ill because of the work they do for you and then decides to take legal action against your business. We will cover you for £10 million, as standard.

  • Contents cover

    Insure your specialist equipment, like food mixers and rollers, with our contents cover. You can choose to insure items stored at home and items taken away from your premises. For example, any cake stands or tables you might take to an event.

    If your equipment is stolen or damaged by an insured event, e.g. a fire or flood, we’ll cover the cost of replacing it.

    You can also insure the essential electrical items needed to run your business, like your work laptop, smartphone or even a till.

  • Stock cover

    If you're making a cake for a big event, like a birthday party or a wedding, and the produce in your fridge is ruined following a power cut, you'll need to get new ingredients quickly to avoid disappointing your clients. With our stock insurance, we can cover the cost of replacing your ingredients, so you can whip up something new.

    As well as your ingredients, we can also cover your finished products, both at home and when they're taken away from your premises. For example, if a wedding cake is being delivered to your customer via a third party delivery service, and it gets damaged in transit, your customer is likely to expect a heavy discount. We can cover the cost of the cake, so you don't lose out.

    We offer an extra 25% of cover for 15 days before and after every bank holiday, and for two months of your choice, as standard. This is especially useful if you know you have a particularly busy period, like Christmas.

  • Buildings cover

    If you own the building you work from, you can insure it on your business policy, so all your cover is in one place. If there is an insured event such as a flood or fire at your premises, buildings insurance will cover the costs of repairing the damage. It can help pay for clearing debris and architect's fees.

    You can also insure your glass shop front, and if you rent a space, you can insure the fixtures and fittings you’ve installed, such as a cake display or oven.

  • Equipment breakdown cover

    When you insure your contents or stock, you'll get equipment breakdown cover as standard. This means you can insure the essential machinery needed to run your business, like cookers and mixers. If they break down, we can cover the cost of repairing or replacing them, as long as the damage is not due to wear and tear.

    Similarly, if you choose to insure your premises, we'll automatically cover the items that form part of the building, such as your boiler or fire alarm. The breakdown must not be due to wear and tear.

  • Business interruption

    If your working premises, equipment or stock becomes unusable due to an insured event, like a fire, flood, theft or accidental damage, business interruption will cover the extra costs of setting up your business somewhere else, and the loss of turnover due to not being able to work.

    For example, we’ll cover you if an event you are catering for is cancelled due to an insured event, like a fire at the premises. We can also cover you if you accidentally damage an essential piece of equipment, like your cake mixer, and can’t whip up any new creations for your customers.

    Our business interruption cover can insure you if you or one of your key employees becomes seriously disabled and is unable to continue work. We will cover the incurred costs, up to £25,000, to minimise any interruption to the business.

  • Theft of takings

    If you sell at fairs, markets or in your shop, you're likely to handle cash. Theft of takings will cover you in case of theft. This includes business takings stolen from anyone working for you. We'll cover you for up to £1,000 when you trade at markets and fairs.

  • Cyber cover insures you for the cyber security risks your company may face. If you take payments and bookings online, or rely on computer systems for your business, you're vulnerable to a cyber attack.

    Cyber insurance covers the costs you have to pay as a result of cybercrime, compensation and defence costs for a data breach or unintentional transmission of a virus, loss of income following a cyber attack and the cost of responding to a cyber ransom demand.

    We also provide access to IT forensics and data recovery experts, specialist support for PR and crisis management, identity theft assistance and specialist advice to prevent viruses or hacking attacks after an incident.

Get a quote
or call us on 0345 605 9168

Policy documents

View and download our policy documents here:

Frequently asked questions

  • Q Can you cover me if i work at a pop-up?

    At the moment, we don’t cover cake makers and decorators who work at pop-ups, but we can cover you if you work at markets and fairs.

    We are constantly reviewing and developing our policies; if we can’t cover you now, we hope to be able to in the future.

  • Q Do I need public liability insurance if I run a cake business from home?

    Even if you run your business from home, public liability insurance is still important. If a customer or delivery person visits your home to collect a cake and trips over a loose wire in your hallway, resulting in an injury, they could make a claim against you. The same could happen if you visit a customer’s home and accidentally damage their property.

    Even if you don’t interact with the public on a daily basis, accidents can still happen, and these mishaps won’t be covered by your home insurance policy.

    We offer public and product liability as a single cover option. This means you’re also covered if the cakes you sell make a customer ill.