Insurance for cafés
and coffee shops

Price beat guarantee

We guarantee to beat your new insurance quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

To redeem and for full Terms & Conditions, click here.

New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying criteria apply.

Stolen laptop? Damaged mobile? We'll replace your essential tech within 24hrs of claim approval, with Business Tech Essentials.

Cover & claim limits apply. Mon – Fri 8am – 6pm, except Bank holidays

  • No admin fees if you need to make changes to your policy.
  • 0% APR on your monthly Direct Debit payments in the first year.

    Over 18s, subject to eligibility.

  • We won't be beaten on price – we'll beat your new business quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

    New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying criteria apply. Terms & Conditions.

Get a quote
or call us on 0345 605 9168

Tailored insurance for your café or coffee shop

Running a busy café comes with a lot of challenges - you've got to keep your stock replenished, your building in good working order, and provide a safe and relaxing environment for your customers.

With members of the public coming through the door all day, you'll need to act quickly if something goes wrong. That's why it's important to have insurance that suits the different risks you face.

Confused by an insurance term? Look it up in our
jargon buster

Pick and choose from the following cover types to create a personalised policy that's just right for your business. These covers are subject to policy conditions and limits.

  • Public and product liability

    Public liability covers you if a member of the public is injured, or if their property is damaged, because of your business activities. For example, if someone slips on a wet floor in your café or if an employee accidentally spills coffee on a customer’s laptop, public liability will cover any resulting compensation or legal costs.

    Product liability covers you if anyone becomes ill after eating your food and makes a claim against you.

    Public and product liability cover comes as standard with our café and coffee shop insurance. We can offer cover from £1 million to £10 million.

  • Employers' liability

    Employers' liability insurance covers the costs you have to pay if an employee gets injured or becomes ill because of the work they do for you. For example, if an employee falls down the stairs at your café because of a broken handrail, and then decides to take legal action against your business, we will cover the resulting costs.

    In most cases, employers' liability insurance is a legal requirement if you have employees. We will cover you for £10 million, as standard.

  • Contents cover

    You can insure the equipment needed to run your business, like your till, coffee machine, sandwich maker and even your laptop, with our contents cover.

    If your equipment is stolen or damaged by an insured event, e.g. a fire or flood, we'll cover the cost of replacing it. So, you won't have to worry about forking out for expensive machinery you hadn't budgeted for.

    And now with Business Tech Essentials, if your essential tech is stolen or damaged, we'll replace it within 24 hours from claim approval.

    When you cover your electrical items and tech you get Business Tech Essentials. Which means if your essential tech - like laptops, mobiles or tablets - are stolen or damaged we'll replace them within 24 hours of claim approval.

    Cover & claim limits apply. Mon – Fri 8am – 6pm, except Bank holidays.

  • Stock cover

    If your stock gets damaged overnight, e.g. because of a flood or a faulty freezer, and you can no longer serve most of the items on your menu, you'll likely lose takings for the day.

    Our stock insurance will cover the cost of replacing your food, including any raw ingredients, so you can carry on running your business. We can cover food stored at home and food taken away from your premises, e.g. cupcakes being transported to a customer via a third-party delivery service.

    We offer an extra 25% of cover for 15 days before and after every bank holiday, and for two months of your choice, as standard. This is especially useful if you know you have a particularly busy period, like Christmas.

  • Buildings cover

    If you own the building you work from, you can insure it on your business policy. This means if there is an insured event, such as a flood or fire, at your café, we will cover the costs of repairing the damage. Buildings insurance can help pay for clearing debris and architect's fees.

    You can also insure your glass shop front; and if you rent a space, you can insure the fixtures and fittings you've installed, such as a cake display or oven.

  • Equipment breakdown cover

    When you insure your contents or stock, you'll get equipment breakdown cover as standard. This means you can insure the essential machinery needed to run your business, like cookers and dishwashers. If they break down, we can cover the cost of repairing or replacing them, as long as the damage is not due to wear and tear.

    Similarly, if you choose to insure your premises, we'll automatically cover the items that form part of the building, such as your boiler or fire alarm. The breakdown must not be due to wear and tear.

  • Business interruption

    If your café, equipment or stock becomes unusable due to an insured event like a fire, flood, theft or accidental damage, business interruption will cover the loss of turnover due to not being able to trade.

    We can also cover you if your main supplier can’t trade because their building, equipment or stock is damaged, which results in a loss of business for you, up to a limit of £50,000.

  • Theft of takings

    Theft of takings will cover you and your employees in case of theft. This includes cash stolen from the premises and cash being transported to the bank.

  • If you hold sensitive customer data, process payments online or just want peace of mind, Cyber cover should be considered. Because cyber criminals can be clever. Catching you off-guard and tricking you in to doing something you shouldn't, like opening an attachment in a fake email, or finding a way through your cyber-security. If this happens and they get their hands on your data or access to your bank account, the impact on your business could be devastating.

    But, with our Cyber cover, you can call the experts, 24/7. They'll be on it, helping you to stay in business and recover in three ways following a cyber incident:

    Recover financially

    • Covering loss of business income
    • Covering recovery costs, like fixing damage to your computer systems or data restoration
    • Covering fines (where insurable by law) and compensation costs following a data breach

    Recover your reputation

    • You get access to public relations and crisis management experts to minimise damage to your brand and business.

    Recover your systems and help prevent future incidents

    • Technical experts will help fix your IT issues and provide advice on how to prevent future cyber incidents.

    Read more on Cyber cover here.

    Available on new and renewal policies only. For Retail and Office & Professional customers only.

  • Personal accident

    Personal accident cover provides payment if anyone in your business between the ages 16-75 is unable to work because they've been injured in an accident, whether in a business or personal capacity.

    We'll pay a lump sum of £50,000 if there is an accidental death, accidental loss of limbs or sight, or if someone in your business becomes permanently disabled following an accident.

    If someone in your business is unable to work due to a temporary injury, then after 7 days we'll pay their normal net weekly earnings up to £500 for up to 104 weeks.

    You can choose Personal Accident as an add-on once you've completed your quote.

Get a quote
or call us on 0345 605 9168

Policy documents

If you have an existing quote or policy with us, you can view and download your policy documents from the My Account page.

We tailor all our policies, so your documents only show what you’ve chosen to cover.

Below is a summary of a generic policy, from 25 October 2020 onwards, which shows the main covers and exclusions in our policies.

Frequently asked questions

  • Q What sort of establishments do you cover?

    We can cover a range of establishments where food and beverages are served, including:

    • Cafes
    • Coffeeshops
    • Tearooms
    • Snack bars

    If your business isn't mentioned above, that doesn't mean we can't insure you. Get a quote to find out what we can offer your business.

  • Q Can you insure my business if I use a deep fat fryer?

    Yes, we can insure your business if you use deep fat fryers. When you get a quote, you will need to specify that you use a deep fat fryer so that it's included in your policy.