Business & management consultant's insurance from under £6 a month

Use our online tool to create a Consultants' Insurance policy that's tailored to your needs.

10% of customers paid £65 for a 12 month policy between June 2019 – June 2020. We offer 0% APR on your monthly direct debit payments in the first year. Subject to credit agreement, must be aged 18 years and over.

Join over 500,000 businesses who trust us with their insurance.

  • Get 10% off business insurance if you’re already a Direct Line customer.

    Discount applies to your new business insurance policy. Subject to minimum premiums.

  • We can cover you if you work in your office, a co-working space, at home or when visiting clients.
  • No admin fees if you need to make changes to your policy.
  • 0% APR on your monthly direct debit payments in the first year.

    New customers only, over 18s, subject to eligibility.

  • We won't be beaten on price. We'll beat your new business insurance quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

    New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying criteria apply. Terms & Conditions.

Consultants’ Insurance that works for you

As a consultant, you know the value of expertise. Your clients trust you to guide them towards success through keen strategy and better business practices.

But no matter how good you are at your job, mistakes can happen. If your client acts upon advice that you’ve given them, and ends up losing money or suffering reputational damage in the process, they could hold you responsible. So, it’s important to cover yourself against allegations of negligence.

Protecting your business against legal costs from claims made against you isn’t the only thing you have to keep in mind. When you’re consulting, you’re often out of the office. So, insuring expensive equipment like your phone and laptop is important. If your smart phone gets damaged or stolen, you’ll need to be able to replace it so that you don’t miss any opportunities to connect with existing or potential clients.

Back at the office, you have additional assets to consider. If your building is affected by fire, flood or theft, having the right cover in place means you won’t have to worry about finding the funds needed to replace items or secure a new workspace, reducing the disruption to your workflow.

There’s a lot to think about when considering what to include in your insurance policy and only you know what’s right for your company. At Direct Line for Business, we put you in control of your policy. You can use our online tool to select the different types of cover you need.

Your cover options

There are many different types of business insurance and you need to make sure you’ve got the cover that’s right for you. Add any of the following cover options to your Consultants’ Insurance to create a policy that precisely fits your needs. These covers are subject to policy conditions and limits.

  • Professional indemnity

    Giving advice to your clients is central to your work as a business management consultant, and there can be serious consequences if a client believes you’ve provided guidance that has been detrimental to their business. Professional indemnity insurance would cover your legal expenses and any compensation costs you have to pay, if a client makes a claim against you.

    Many clients will ask you to provide proof of professional indemnity cover before they agree to work with you, particularly if they’re a local authority or a larger company. Our downloadable policy documents mean you can instantly show your clients proof of your insurance, allowing you the speed and flexibility your business needs to thrive.

  • Public liability

    Consultancy work means that you’re often out and about with clients or at their offices. If someone is injured by you, or you damage their property (for example, if you spill coffee on someone’s laptop and it stops working), they might make a claim against you. Public liability insurance will cover your legal expenses and compensation.

  • Employers' liability

    This covers the costs you have to pay if an employee gets injured or becomes ill because of the work they do for you and decides to take action against you. In most cases, employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you have employees, both temporary and permanent. At Direct Line for Business, we will cover you for £10 million, as standard.

  • Buildings cover

    If your owned or rented property becomes damaged due to an insured event, for example by a flood or fire, buildings insurance will cover the rebuilding work. This includes the costs of debris removal and architects’ fees.

    Equipment breakdown cover is included as standard, so if your equipment (that forms part of the building) breaks down and you need to repair or replace any items, this policy will cover the costs. Equipment could include boilers and fire/burglar alarms. The breakdown must not be due to wear and tear.

  • Contents and stock

    You can cover all your electrical items, business equipment, furniture, art and files used by your business with our contents and stock cover.

    Consulting often requires you to travel to multiple locations; we also offer a cover option that allows you to insure your business contents away from your work premises.

    If your work laptop fell on the floor and the screen cracked, we’d cover the cost of replacing it so you can get your business up and running again.

  • Business interruption

    If the premises where you are working becomes unusable due to an insured event such as a fire or flood, business interruption will cover the extra costs of setting up somewhere else. It can cover you until you can return to your normal place of work, as well as for loss of turnover if you’ve insured your premises.

    For example, if the client premises you’re working at is damaged and has to close, we’ll cover the extra costs for you to work elsewhere. We also cover you if your main client can’t trade because their building is damaged, which results in a loss of business for you, up to a limit of £50,000.

    Our business interruption cover can insure you if you or one of your key employees becomes seriously disabled and unable to continue work. We will cover the incurred costs, up to £25,000, to minimise any interruption to the business.

  • Theft of takings

    If your business handles cash and cheques, this policy will cover you in case of theft. This includes business takings stolen from anyone working for you.

  • Cyber cover

    If you handle client data or rely on computer systems for your work, you should consider cyber insurance. We cover you for the costs you face as a result of cyber crime, which include: compensation and defence costs for a data breach or unintentional transmission of a virus, loss of income following a cyber attack and the cost of responding to a cyber ransom demand.

    We also provide specialist support in PR and crisis management, identity theft assistance and specialist advice to prevent further viruses or hacking attacks after an incident.

  • Legal expenses

How can we help?

Get a quote, talk to us via live chat or call us on
0345 878 5622.

Visit our contact us page to view our opening hours.

Policy documents

If you have an existing quote or policy with us, you can view and download your policy documents from the My Account page.

We tailor all our policies, so your documents only show what you’ve chosen to cover.

Below is a summary of a generic policy, from 15 July 2018 until 31 March 2019, which shows the main covers and exclusions in our policies.

Below is a summary of a generic policy, from 1 April 2019 onwards, which shows the main covers and exclusions in our policies.