resizer image

Cook up a personalised policy for your business

You choose the ingredients that go into your Catering, Home Baking and Food Retail Insurance policy, so you only pay for what you need. These covers are subject to policy conditions and limits.

  • We can cover you if you work at home, in your shop, at events, markets and fairs.
  • No admin fees if you need to make changes to your policy.
  • 0% APR on your monthly direct debit payments in the first year.

    New customers only, over 18s, subject to eligibility.

  • We guarantee to beat your new business quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

    New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying criteria apply. Terms & Conditions.

Personalise your business insurance

Working in catering is a fast-paced and exciting way to make your living. You need to make sure that your insurance matches the demands of your work.

For instance, if you are catering at a wedding and guests become ill because of the food you provide, your business could be open to legal action, leaving you financially vulnerable.

It doesn’t matter how small your business is, or whether it’s your main source of income, you still need insurance. Even if you run an occasional cake making business out of your home, you can still encounter the same problems as a full-time catering professional.

As well as legal action from customers and members of the public, you could face:

  • The sudden breakdown of a crucial piece of business equipment, like your cake mixer or fridge
  • Ruined business stock due to a faulty freezer
  • A fire or flood that makes your workspace unusable

In these cases, your home insurance won’t necessarily cover you.

Cover all aspects of your business under one policy

Public and product liability cover comes as standard within our Catering, Home Baking and Food Retail Insurance policy, in order to cover the core needs of your business. You can then use our online tool to decide what other types of cover you add to your policy, if any, to make sure that you only pay for the cover you need.

No matter how many different types of cover you include, you’ll only pay one monthly or annual fee, with one renewal date. It couldn’t be easier.

You can amend your policy at any time and we won’t charge you admin fees. So, whether you’re a butcher, baker or sausage roll maker, make sure you’re covered so you don’t get burnt.

Get a quote
or call us on 0345 605 9168

Your cover options

Add any of the following cover options to your Catering, Home Baking and Retail Insurance to create a policy that precisely fits your business needs. These covers are subject to policy conditions and limits.

  • Public and product liability

    Public liability covers you if you accidentally injure a customer or member of the public, or cause damage to their property. If a vat of beetroot soup was spilled over a venue’s carpet, one of your employees dropped a scalding cup of tea on a customer’s lap, or a member of the public slipped on a wet floor in your shop, this cover would pay for any damage, compensation or legal costs.

    Product liability covers you if anyone becomes ill after eating your food. For example, if you unintentionally serve spoiled food or food containing a foreign body, this cover will help pay any legal fees if you're taken to court.

    We can offer cover from £1 million to £10 million.

  • Employers' liability

    In most cases, employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you have employees. This covers the costs you have to pay if an employee gets injured or becomes ill because of their work for you and then decides to take legal action against your business.

    It doesn’t matter if your employee is working for you on a one-off basis at an event or helps you full-time in the kitchen, you still need cover. At Direct Line for Business, we will cover you for £10 million, as standard.

  • Buildings cover

    If there is an insured event such as flood or fire at your premises, buildings insurance will cover the costs of repairing the damage. It can help pay for clearing debris and architect's fees.

    Equipment breakdown cover (for items forming part of the building) is included as standard, so if your equipment breaks down and you need to order repairs or replace items, this policy covers the cost. Equipment could include boilers and fire/burglar alarms. The breakdown must not be due to wear and tear.

  • Contents and stock

    Insure your electrical items, and specialist equipment, like food processors, chef’s knives and even tills with our contents cover. We offer an extra 25% cover for stock for two months of your choice, as standard. This is especially useful if you know you have a particular busy period, like Christmas.

    If you keep your cooking equipment or food stock at home, make sure they’re covered, especially if you use them on a daily basis. Equipment used for your business won’t necessarily be covered under your personal home insurance policy.

    We also offer a cover option that allows you to insure your equipment away from your premises when you’re on the go. Particularly useful if you work from multiple locations and when you travel to events.

  • Business interruption

    If your working premises, equipment or stock becomes unusable due to an insured event like a fire or flood, business interruption will cover the extra costs of setting up your business somewhere else, and the loss of turnover due to not being able to work.

    We will cover you if, for example, a wedding you are catering for is cancelled, or the venue is changed, due to damage at the premises. We’ll cover the extra costs you face in moving venues, or lost turnover.

    Our business interruption cover can insure you if you or one of your key employees becomes seriously disabled and is unable to continue work. We will cover the incurred costs, up to £25,000, to minimise any interruption to the business.

  • Theft of takings

    When you’re selling at fairs, markets or in your shop, you’re handling cash. This policy will cover you in case of theft. This includes business takings stolen from anyone working for you. We’ll cover you for up to £1,000 when you trade at markets and fairs.

  • Cyber cover

    Cyber cover insures you for the cyber security risks your company may face. If you take payments and bookings online, or rely on computer systems for your business, you’re vul-nerable to a cyber attack.

    Cyber insurance covers the costs you have to pay as a result of cyber crime, compensation and defence costs for a data breach or unintentional transmission of a virus, loss of income following a cyber attack and the cost of responding to a cyber ransom demand.

    We also provide access to IT forensics and data recovery experts, specialist support for PR and crisis management, identity theft assistance and specialist advice to prevent viruses or hacking attacks after an incident.

  • Legal expenses

How can we help?

Get a quote, talk to us via live chat or call us on
0345 605 9168

Visit our contact us page to view our opening hours.

Frequently asked questions

  • QWhat kind of businesses does Direct Line for Business cover?

    Our Catering, Home Baking and Food Retail insurance will cover you at home, at your own premises and at events and fairs. Here’s a selection of what we can provide:

    • Food/drink retail insurance
    • Tea room and coffee shop insurance
    • Cake maker/ decorator insurance
    • Baker insurance
    • Home bakery insurance
    • Butcher insurance
    • Cheesemonger insurance
    • Deli insurance
    • Fishmonger insurance
    • Ice cream parlour insurance
    • Catering insurance
    • Chef insurance

    If you don't see your business here it doesn't mean we won't cover you, call us on 0345 8785 622 to see if we can offer you a quote.

  • QAre there any businesses that Direct Line for Business won’t cover?

    At present, we cannot offer cover to the following:

    • Restaurants and cafes
    • Caterers that prepare food when they're at a venue. If you are a caterer, we expect you to make the food ahead of time and bring it on the day.
    • Food retailers who work at pop-up shops. See our pop-ups page to check our definition of a pop-up.
    • We also can’t provide mobile catering insurance, where you run a food van or truck.

    We are constantly reviewing and developing our policies; if we can’t cover you now, we hope to be able to in the future.

Policy documents

If you have an existing quote or policy with us, you can view and download your policy documents from the My Account page.

We tailor all our policies, so your documents only show what you’ve chosen to cover.

Below is a summary of a generic policy, from 15 July 2018 until 31 March 2019, which shows the main covers and exclusions in our policies.

Below is a summary of a generic policy, from 1 April 2019 onwards, which shows the main covers and exclusions in our policies.