Insurance essentials Insurance essentials

Insurance essentials

Whatever type of business you're running, you will need to be insured. Here's a brief guide to our insurance policies to help keep your business safe.

Your business might be food retail, hairdressing, plumbing or deliveries, but whatever type you're running, you are going to need to be insured. Having the right business insurance and liability cover means that, in the case of accident, damage or theft, you are covered, and so are your staff, your premises, your vehicles and your stock.

Here are some things that Direct Line business insurance could cover, many of which relate to specific Direct Line for Business policies. We have tailored our solutions to different sectors and situations so they can fit your business like a glove.

On the road

Commercial vehicle or Van Insurance will protect your vehicles and your drivers on the road.

Vans can be covered for business use in two ways:

  1. Third Party Fire & Theft (TPF&T), covering your driver if other people claim against them for injury or damage to their vehicle or property, and if your van is stolen or damaged by fire. 
  2. Comprehensive cover, which is Third Party Fire & Theft plus accidental damage cover to your van, and your driver’s personal belongings, medical expenses and personal accident cover.

As well as being renowned for our Car Insurance, Direct Line was the first major insurance company in the UK to recognise named drivers' no claims history.

If you have Direct Line car insurance and use your car occasionally for work purposes, read more in our information about car insurance for business use.

Location, location

If you're the landlord of a property that's used by a business, you're likely to require Commercial Landlord Insurance, which can cover properties used as offices, retail outlets or other commercial or industrial purposes.

Benefits of having taking a Direct Line for Business policy out are that your buildings are covered, as are any equipment breakdown; plus you get public and property owners' liability, and loss of rent receivable.

Our policy can also include Employers' Liability and personal accident (assault). If you are in an office or retail building which frequently has external visitors, you need to be covered in case they get hurt on your property. It might never happen, but it's good to be covered.

Home sweet home

If you're a landlord, managing residential properties as your business, or even if you just own one buy-to-let house, Landlord's Insurance is a must-have.

Our policy is designed for properties owned by the policyholder and occupied by tenants solely for domestic, residential purposes. The Direct Line policy covers properties occupied full-time by professionals, and ideally managed by the policyholder or professional letting agents.

Our insurance package can cover the buildings, including equipment breakdown, public and property owners' liability, loss of rent, loss of money and personal accident (assault).

Employers' liability insurance

Employers' liability insurance is a type of cover that all business owners must have if they have any employees.

It's basically designed to cover you against employee claims for compensation - for example, if an employee suffers any physical injury or even death at work, and it is proven that as an employer you acted negligently. In these cases, you could claim on your business insurance and the insurer would cover the compensation and any other associated costs.

Insuring your business

The difference between Employers' Liability and Public liability insurance is that the former covers your employees whereas public liability covers your business against being pursued by third parties (members of the public) with a claim of negligence causing physical injury or death.

Public liability is covered in a number of our products, which are tailored to your business. For example, we offer Office / Surgery Insurance; Home Business Insurance; B&B / Guest House Insurance and Restaurant / Pub Insurance.

In addition to this, we also have Shop Insurance, which covers retail outlets; and Tradesman Insurance, for businesses engaged in traditional building, plumbing, carpentry, and painting and decorating.

It may seem a lot to think about, but the beauty of getting the right commercial insurance is you can get on with your daily business, knowing you're covered in case of any eventuality.

Use this website to find out if there is a policy to suit you and get a business insurance quote in minutes.

Small Business Insurance

Last Updated: 10 Dec 2017