resizer image

Never beaten on price – guaranteed

We guarantee to beat any quote for the same cover.

New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying Criteria Apply. Terms & Conditions.

Pub and Restaurant Insurance

Service from experts you can rely on

Running a pub or restaurant comes with its own unique challenges, and you’ll find our restaurant / pub insurance reflect them. That's why you're covered if a member of the public slips up on your premises, or if one of your staff injures themselves – both particular concerns in a busy environment (for which you are legally liable). We'll also protect you against loss if you have to close your premises temporarily due to an insured event, for example due to storm, flood or fire.

Whether you're covering your liability to the public, staff or any money you keep on your premises or in transit to the bank, it's essential you buy the right amount of cover. That's why we ensure our Restaurant Insurance / Pub Insurance includes the standard cover for your type of business with the option to increase cover limits or add on cover to suit your individual requirements.

And if your circumstances change, such as taking on extra staff or altering your business activities, let us know and we'll adapt your cover to your needs, and save you some money wherever we can.

You can also have up to four guestrooms (any more, please see our B&B / Guest House Insurance), but must not offer live entertainment or nightclub facilities.

What's covered?

With our Pub insurance, you can also increase many of the standard limits.

  • Business contents (for example guestroom furniture, linen) cover for any amount to a maximum of £250,000
  • Public Liability for injury to the public or damage to their property, up to £2m
  • Product Liability which would cover you against illness caused by the food or drink that you serve up to £2m
  • Employers' liability for damages, legal costs and expenses following injury to your employees up to £10m
  • Loss of income following an insured incident up to £500,000 over a 24 month period
  • No administration fees to pay for mid-term amendments.

Optional extras

  • Your building (up to £2m of the rebuild value)
  • The contents of your home if you also live on the premises
  • The loss of your drinks license
  • Saving you time with your quote

    Please ensure that the information provided by you is correct, and you comply with the statements on this page. If your circumstances change between the date you purchase the policy and the policy start date, please call us. Failure to do so may mean that your insurance policy is not valid or that we may not pay all or part of your claim(s).

    We don’t charge administration fees for mid-term changes to your policy.

    If you decide to cancel your policy during the period of insurance an administration fee for cancellation will apply amounting to 1/12th of your annual premium, up to a maximum of £50.00 (calculated at the time of cancellation, plus current rate of Insurance Premium Tax where applicable).

    The below statements are what you need to agree with for us to be able to offer you this insurance policy.

    Neither You, nor Your Directors nor Your partners:

    • have ever had insurance declined or special conditions imposed by any insurer
    • have ever been convicted of or charged (but not yet tried) with a breach of any health and safety legislation or any other criminal offence other than a motoring offence
    • are subject to an outstanding County Court Judgement (or the Scottish equivalent)
    • are subject to bankruptcy or insolvency orders which are either outstanding or have been discharged for less than 5 years

    You have not had more than 4 claims in the last 3 years

    The below are important statements about the property your business operates from:

    • The buildings built solely of brick, stone, or concrete and roofed solely of slates, tiles, asphalt, concrete, metal or other incombustible materials other than flat roofs
    • The buildings are not heated by methods other than by electricity, natural gas or a fixed central heating system and open fires
    • The Premises do not require any repair or refurbishment to make them secure or water tight and will be so maintained You do not organise any events away from the Premises
    • You have not entered into any specific contracts to provide accommodation e.g. with the local authority or the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP)
    • The level of security at your Premises meets our minimum security requirements
    • The buildings are not Grade 1 listed
    • The business is not partially or fully closed for periods exceeding 21 consecutive days in any one year.

    If any of the assumptions above are not true please call us.

Policy documents

View and download policy documents here

The following policy documents apply to policies that were bought or renewed before 12 August 2016.

The following policy documents apply to policies that were bought or renewed on or after 12 August 2016.

Legal Document Service

Included as standard when you buy or renew a policy from 1st February 2016.

Register or log in to Direct Line for Business Legal Documents Service.

Get documents

Frequently asked questions

About Pub and Restaurant Insurance

  • QWhat is the Insurance Act 2015?

    The Insurance Act 2015 is a new piece of UK government legislation that becomes effective on the 12th August 2016. The purpose of this Act is to update the law in certain areas in line with best practise in the modern UK insurance market. To find out more and how it could affect you please go here:

  • QWhat is Insurance Premium Tax (IPT)?

    Insurance Premium Tax is a tax payable on insurance premiums and is set by the Government.

    All documents outlining premiums, such as quotations, show how much insurance premium tax you're being charged. However, not all UK residents pay the tax, such as anyone who resides in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man.

    Please note that HM Revenue and Customs has increased the rate of Insurance Premium Tax from 10% to 12%. This will affect all policies from 1st June 2017 and will be reflected in the renewal premium.

  • QHow long is a quote valid for?

    Your quote will be valid for 30 days from the day you receive it.

  • QHow far in advance can I get a quote?

    You can get a quote up to 30 days before you need the cover to start.

  • Q What if I don't have an email address?

    To get a quote online you’ll need to enter a valid email address. If you'd like help getting a quote, call us on 0345 303 1756.

  • Q What if I don't know the date of a past claim?

    If you’re unsure of the date of your claim(s) please get in touch with your current or previous insurer to find out. Or, you can enter an approximate date and then call us on 0345 303 1760 to change your claims details with the correct information.

  • Q What if I don't know the amount of my claim?

    If you are unsure what the amount of your claim(s) is please contact your current or previous insurance provider to find out. Alternatively you can enter an approximate cost and then contact us on 0345 303 1760 to amend your claims details with the correct information. Calls may be recorded.

  • Q What does Employer's Liability cover?

    This insures you against claims for compensation from employees following injury for which you are legally liable.

  • QWhat are the exclusions on this policy?

    Please refer to the policy summary document where we detail the general exclusions. For more details please refer to your policy wording or call our customer services department on 0345 303 1756.

  • QWhat are the standard excesses?

    Your individual excesses will be found in the 'Your Summary' page when you have completed the quote details or alternatively please call us on 0345 303 1756.

View more questions