Make-up artist insurance

Price beat guarantee

We guarantee to beat your new insurance quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

New policies only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Excludes policies where Home Emergency Cover is added. Qualifying criteria apply. Terms & Conditions.

Get free 24/7 access to legal advice and an online legal documents service with Legal Essentials

Included as standard when you buy or renew any of our business insurance policies. For niche legal advice and some jurisdictions, the 24/7 helpline will refer you to specialist advisers, available Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm, excl. bank holidays. Document services and legal advice helpline are provided by DAS Legal Expenses Insurance limited

  • Personalise your insurance - you choose what cover goes into your policy, so you only pay for what you need.
  • Whether you work from home, at a salon, at your clients' premises or backstage at events, we'll cover all your places of work under one policy.
  • No admin fees if you need to amend your policy.
  • 0% APR on your monthly Direct Debit payments in the first year.

    Over 18s, subject to eligibility.

Apply the right make-up artist insurance to your business

One of the best things about being a make-up artist is working with different people and helping them to feel good about themselves. Whether your client is a bride-to-be, a student getting ready for prom or a model taking part in a photoshoot, you get to play a part in some of the most special moments in people's lives.

While it's exciting, this type of work also comes with its own set of risks. If a client has an allergic reaction to one of your products or if you accidentally stain their clothes, they might make a claim against you. So, it's important to have the right cover in place.

Refine your make-up artist insurance

We understand that not all make-up artists operate in the same way. If you own a salon, for example, you'll need different cover to a mobile make-up artist.

That's why we let you personalise your insurance. You choose the covers that go into your policy and your cover limits. This means you can tailor your insurance to help meet your budget and you won't have to pay for cover you don't need. See what cover you can include in your policy below.

Confused by an insurance term? Look it up in our
jargon buster

Our standard cover

  • Public liability

    If you or one of your employees accidentally damages a client's property, for example if you spill make-up on someone's bag and cause a permanent stain, public liability insurance will cover any legal or compensation claims you are liable to pay.

    Public liability insurance also covers you if a member of the public is injured at your place of work. For example, if your client slips on a wet floor at your salon and sprains their ankle.

  • Treatments liability

    Treatments liability insurance covers you if a member of the public becomes ill or is injured because of a treatment you have performed on them.

    The treatments we cover, as standard, include:

    • Make-up application
    • Eyebrow plucking, shaping, threading and tinting
    • Eyelash curling, perming, tinting and eyelash extensions
    • Face & body painting, including henna art and su-do body art

    For an additional premium, you can also add other beauty treatments to your policy, if required. Other treatments we cover include:

    • Face masks
    • Hair removal
    • Manicure and pedicure

    We do not cover the following treatments:

    • Semi-permanent pigmentation or semi-permanent makeup

    Find out more about the treatments we can cover you for here.

Make-Up Artists Insurance - optional extras

  • Employers' liability

    Employers' liability insurance is a legal requirement if you have employees. There are a couple of exceptions to this rule, which you can read more about here.

    We cover you for £10 million, as standard. This covers the legal and compensation costs you are required to pay if an employee gets injured or becomes ill because of the work they do for you.

  • Contents and stock

    Contents and stock cover is essential for businesses that supply goods or rely on specific equipment to run their business.

    A seamstress would not be able to work without a sewing machine, a web designer would not be able to code without a computer and you may not be able to run your business without your trusty tablet.

    Meanwhile, there will be other more general items that you might rely on for your business, like your office furniture or your shop tills. Insure your business contents so that if they're damaged by an insured event, such as fire or theft, your business keeps going.

    If you sell goods, you'll want to insure your stock, whether that's raw materials or the finished article. If your goods are damaged or stolen, what have you got to sell?

    Our different cover options allow you to insure your business equipment and stock at your premises, when you're on the move, or both. Whether you work at home, at fairs, in shared workspaces or visit a lot of clients, we've got you covered. And when you insure stock at your premises or home, you'll also get an extra 25% of stock covered for two months of your choice as standard, ideal for your busiest periods.

    And now with Business Tech Essentials, if your essential tech is stolen or damaged, we'll replace it within 24 hours from claim approval.

    When you cover your electrical items and tech you get Business Tech Essentials. Which means if your essential tech - like laptops, mobiles, or tablets - are stolen or damaged we'll replace them within 24 hours of claim approval.

    Cover & claim limits apply. Mon - Fri 8am - 6pm, except Bank holidays.

  • Seasonal increases for stock

    If you take out cover for your stock, you will be given the option to increase your cover by 25% for two months of your choice, at no extra cost. This is in addition to the automatic cover provided 15 days either side of each bank holiday.

  • Property away

    You also have the option to insure goods in transit. This means that when you're carrying expensive items, like your make-up, brushes, lashes and other accessories and equipment, from one venue to another, you're covered should they get stolen or damaged due to an insured event. We'll pay for the cost of replacing the items that are essential to your work to ensure minimum disruption to your business.

  • Premises cover

    Premises cover is important for make-up artists who are based at home or own a salon. If there is an insured event such as a flood or fire at your premises and the building is damaged, our cover will pay for the costs of reinstatement or repairs.

  • Home emergency

    Peace of mind, if you experience a sudden and unexpected issue, which can cause damage to your home, makes it unsafe or uninhabitable, home emergency's 24-hour claims line means help is never far away. You'll have a certified contractor, such as plumbers, electricians, glaziers, locksmiths, or drainage engineers at your home within 4 hours of your claim being registered, to make the property secure or prevent further damage. In addition, you have access to gas engineers, pest control services and roofers, but these are not subject to the 4-hour response time. Extreme weather and remote locations may extend the response time.

    Up to £1,500 inc. VAT per claim for call-out charges, labour costs and materials for insured emergencies, such as issues with plumbing, heating or pest infestations.

    There's no excess to pay and no limit on how often you can claim.

    You can add home emergency to a Direct Line business policy, so long as you run your business from home and have home buildings insurance, home contents insurance or business contents insurance on your policy. It is available on new and renewal policies, it can't be added during the policy term.

    Home emergency isn't currently available on policies that include commercial premises.

    For more information click here.

  • Business interruption

    Depending on the type of business you run, you might work from home, in an office, at your shop, a client's premises or a shared working space. If your working premises became unusable due to an insured event like a fire or flood, business interruption will cover the costs of relocating until it's fixed. It can also cover you for any lost turnover during this time if you've insured your premises or business property with us.

    If your main supplier or customer suffers damage to their premises and can't trade, we'll cover you for the loss of business you'll suffer. Equally, if a market or fair that you regularly attend suffers a fire, we'll cover the lost turnover for the time you can't trade there. Business interruption will also cover you if key equipment that you use to run your business, like a laptop, is damaged or stolen, meaning you can't trade.

    Our business interruption cover can insure you if you or one of your key employees becomes seriously disabled and is unable to continue work. We will cover the incurred costs, up to £25,000, to minimise any interruption to the business.

  • Theft of takings

    Theft of Takings covers cash or cheques stolen from you in transit, from a safe or on you while you're working at other premises, such as your clients' homes. Maximum limits apply.

  • Legal expenses

  • Personal accident

    Personal accident cover provides payment if anyone in your business between the ages 16-75 is unable to work because they've been injured in an accident, whether in a business or personal capacity.

    We'll pay a lump sum of £50,000 if there is an accidental death, accidental loss of limbs or sight, or if someone in your business becomes permanently disabled following an accident.

    If someone in your business is unable to work due to a temporary injury, then after 7 days we'll pay their normal net weekly earnings up to £500 for up to 104 weeks.

    You can choose Personal Accident as an add-on once you've completed your quote.

Learn more about make-up artist insurance at Direct Line for Business

Move around visiting your clients?

For many make-up artists, each day means a new client and a new location. Luckily, with Direct Line for Business, you don't have to worry about taking out different policies for your different places of work.

If you work at multiple locations, for example if you rent a space in a beauty salon, work from home and at your clients' premises, you'll be able to cover all these places under one policy, keeping your admin to a minimum.

Face painting insurance

Although we don't offer face painting insurance as a stand-alone policy, we can cover face painting within our make-up artist insurance policy, as long as you also offer other treatments. When creating your quote, you will need to specify that face painting is one of the services you offer.

Am I eligible for Direct Line for Business make-up artist insurance?

To be eligible to take out a make-up artist insurance policy with us, you must hold the relevant qualifications for your profession. Any employees not holding relevant qualifications must be supervised at all times.

Insurance for hair and beauty professionals

Policy documents

If you have an existing quote or policy with us, you can view and download your policy documents from the My Account page.

We tailor all our policies, so your documents only show what you've chosen to cover.

Below is a summary of a generic policy, from 25 October 2020 onwards, which shows the main covers and exclusions in our policies.

How can we help?

Our virtual assistant is here to answer your questions. And in cases where it doesn't have the answer, we'll put you in touch with someone who can help.

Contact us

Opening hours:

  • Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm
  • Saturday 9am - 3pm
  • Sunday closed