resizer image

For the odd jobs you're doing.

We've got the right cover.

or call us on
0345 303 1761

Insurance for the Handyman

Public Liability Insurance

As a handyman from job to job you could be painting a wall, putting up a blind, fixing a tap, or even changing a lock. Each day is different. If you're working in a customer's home or other premises, you'll need insurance. Direct Line for Business Public Liability Insurance is tailored to your work. Our cover insures your business against things you’re responsible for, as well as events outside your control.

Public liability insurance provides cover against claims made by members of the public and customers who have suffered injury or damage to property in connection with the business.

Our cover includes £1m public liability cover as standard that can be increased. The policy is designed to pay compensation, which can include loss of earnings, future loss of earnings and damages awarded to the claimant. It'll also cover the legal cost in defending the claim and the claimants' legal costs that you incur if you're found to be at fault.

When might you need public liability insurance?

  • When your work causes personal injury to a customer or member of the public. If a piece of stair carpet you repaired or an electric cable you fixed came loose and someone tripped and injured themselves, you'd be covered if they sued for compensation if you're at fault.
  • When your work causes damage to property. If you're painting a customer's ceiling and you accidentally spill paint on the carpet, or if a garden fence you fixed collapsed and damaged a passing car. Again you'd be covered if they sued for damages
  • Some businesses require you to have public liability cover before they'll contract you, while some customers may ask you to show proof of public liability insurance before you begin working on their property.
  • For membership of certain trade bodies. Membership can be dependent on having adequate levels of insurance cover.

Optional extras

  • Cover for temporary employees and bona fide sub-contractors hired by your business,.
  • Cover for injury to working partners (if you're a business partnership).
  • Insurance for tools and business equipment up to £10,000 per employee.

Knowledge Centre