Holiday home insurance

We guarantee to beat your new quote or renewal premium from any other insurer.

New customers only. Cover on an equivalent basis to ours. Qualifying criteria apply. Terms and Conditions.

Defaqto logo What Mortgage Awards logo

defaqto 5 star rating for Landlord Insurance
Defaqto is an independent researcher of financial products

Best Landlord Insurance provider - What Mortgage Awards

What's different about Direct Line holiday home insurance?

  • Build your own policy.
  • No admin fees if you need to amend your policy.
  • Interest-free instalments in the first year.

    New customers only. 0% APR. Over 18's only, subject to eligibility.

  • A dedicated claims handler, should you need it.
  • Access to 24/7 legal helpline

What is holiday home insurance?

Having a holiday home can be great but you don’t want to worry about it whether it’s left unoccupied for long periods or rented out to paying guests.

With the different risks that owning a holiday home can have, Direct Line Holiday Home Insurance lets you build a policy that suits you and your holiday home, because no one knows it like you do.

We can give you financial protection against fire, flooding, burglary and injury of a guest or employee. If the worst should happen and your holiday home can’t be let, you can also cover yourself against lost rent.

So, you'll have complete peace of mind knowing you are protected even when you're not there.

How is holiday home insurance different from standard home insurance?

Most holiday homes will not be covered under your standard home insurance because the risks of a holiday home are seen as greater than your main residence that is occupied throughout the year.

Insurers take this into consideration and holiday home insurance is specifically tailored to cover you for the different eventualities.

What does holiday home insurance cover?

  • Holiday properties rented out by you or holiday letting companies
  • Holiday properties rented to third parties, friends or family (signed letting agreement must be used when rented to third parties)
  • Holiday properties with facilities such as saunas, hot tubs or swimming pools
  • Properties built of brick, stone or concrete

Looking for something different?

We also provide tailored to your needs
B&B insurance and landlord insurance.

Build your policy

Our standard cover is selected to give you the core cover for your holiday home but our range of optional cover sections give you the freedom to decide on how much or how little additional cover you want to arrange.

With our holiday home policy you automatically get access to our 24/7 legal helpline for confidential legal advice and guidance on any commercial legal problem affecting your business such as contract disputes, debt recovery or tax protection. You’ll also get access to 'DASbusinesslaw' where you can create tailored legal contracts and agreements for your needs and checked by solicitors.

Please note, these covers are subject to policy limits and conditions.

Either contents or buildings cover must be taken as part of your policy which automatically includes Public liability, glass & sanitary ware.

Landlord insurance covers:

The following cover types are included in our holiday home insurance, as standard:

  • Buildings Insurance, including Boiler Cover. *
  • New-for-old Contents Insurance, including Replacement Locks Cover. *
  • Fixtures and Fittings Cover – are you a leasehold landlord of a flat being let as a holiday home? This covers you for damage to permanent internal fixtures that are not insured under the block of flats policy covering the buildings.
  • Glass and Sanitary Ware.
  • Public Liability cover of £2m, with the option to increase.
  • Floor Coverings (up to £5k, with an option to increase).
  • Alternative Accommodation cover: We'll pay to re-house your holidaymakers following an insured event such as a flood or fire makes the property uninhabitable, subject to policy limits.
  • 24/7 Access to Legal Helplines and DASbusinesslaw.
  • *Either buildings OR contents is standard, not both.

For an additional premium, you can add any of these covers to your holiday home insurance policy:

  • Legal Expenses – covers the cost of defending your legal rights. Includes debt recovery, contract disputes, legal defence and Tax Protection. The following elements of cover of dilapidation & maintenance, repossession, rent recovery and nuisance & eviction of squatters are not currently available under Legal Expenses for holiday homes.
  • Loss of Rent – this covers lost income if your property becomes uninhabitable following an insured event, such as a fire or a flood.
  • Accidental Damage for buildings and/or contents when you've insured them.
  • Employers' Liability – this covers you if an employee makes a claim against you for a work-related injury.
  • Theft by guests.
  • Malicious Damage by your guests.
  • Subsidence cover – covers you in the event the buildings suffer from subsidence, heave or landslip. Subject to acceptance criteria and any previous Subsidence claim.
  • Personal Accident cover pays up to a maximum benefit of £50,000 in respect of Death or a weekly benefit of £250 if temporary disabled to insured persons between the ages of 16 -75 if they are unable to work because they've been injured in an accident, whether in a business or personal capacity.
  • You can extend your policy to help protect your holiday property against damage caused by acts of terrorism. We'll cover you up to the maximum sum insured on your policy for buildings, contents and/or loss of rental income. Acts of terrorism are defined as damage caused by someone acting on behalf of, or in connection with, any organisation which uses force or violence to overthrow or influence the UK government.

    Terrorism cover is not available for properties that are located in the Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Northern Ireland.

    Terrorism insurance is an optional cover so an additional premium will apply.

    You can include Terrorism cover to your policy by either processing this online or calling us on
    0345 301 5066 when you take out your policy with us or at renewal as it cannot be added to your policy mid-term.

If you take out a policy with us, you can also take advantage of the following benefits:

  • 0% interest if you pay by instalments in the first year

    Subject to eligibility, over 18's only.

  • No admin fees if you make changes or add further properties to your policy.
  • Add up to 15 properties on one policy, with one renewal date.
  • Access to your own specialist claims handler should the worst happen.

Landlord insurance covers:

Policy documents

View and download policy documents here

The following policy documents apply to policies that were bought or renewed on, or after 8 September 2019 but before 22 June 2021

The following policy documents apply to policies that were bought or renewed on, or after 22 June 2021 but before 29 May 2022.

The following policy documents apply for policies effective from 30 May 2022 onwards.

Frequently asked questions

  • QCan I get holiday home insurance if my second home is overseas?

    No, we only cover holiday home within the United Kingdom.

  • QWhat types of holiday homes do you cover?

    We cover holiday homes built of standard construction, so built of brick, stone or concrete and roofed with slate, tiles or concrete. We currently do not cover static or mobile caravans.

  • QDo I need additional cover for my holiday home when lending it to friends and family?

    Whether to family, friends or paying guests as the property owner you have a number of legal responsibilities and duties to ensure that the property is safe so our holiday home policy comes with £2M Public Liability insurance as standard. This limit can be increased subject to an additional premium.

    Public liability covers the sums you are legally liable to pay for compensation and claimants costs and expenses following accidental bodily injury to a third party or accidental damage to third party property arising from your activity as a holiday home business.

    Cover is based on you being negligent and does not cover intentional actions.

  • QIs there any minimum security requirements my holiday home needs to comply with?

    No there are no minimum security conditions such as having 5 lever mortice locks rather than a 3 lever mortice lock on the policy.

  • QI allow pets in my holiday home. If they cause damage is it covered?

    If you have selected the optional cover of Accidental Damage, we do cover damage by pets but there is a general policy exclusion of damage caused by ‘scratching'. Accidental damage caused by the pet as a one off incident such as chewing, tearing or if the pet were unwell so vomited or fouling would be covered. It doesn't cover incidents where the pet has repeatedly caused damage as this is not a one off accident.

  • QHow do I ensure that my Contents sum insured is correct?

    If you create an inventory of the items in your holiday home you can allocate a cost to replace them as new to get a total of how much you should insure for. This may take a little time to begin with but will be easy to update and manage going forward. Remember to keep the sum insured up to date when you buy new items or upgrade items in your holiday home. Keeping receipts and photos is also a good discipline and helps support any claims that you submit.

    You could use a contents calculator as a helpful tool as there is one on used for our Home customers see the link below. Please be aware that this is for people's main residences and not holiday homes, so do not include items that are not covered such as valuables. Please be aware the bullet points about limits and cover relate to the Direct Line Home policy and not the holiday home insurance policy.
  • QDo you cover boilers?

    If you select our Buildings cover, you'll automatically get Equipment Breakdown cover. This pays to repair or replace your boiler, irrespective of its age, if it breaks down, but excludes wear and tear. Read more about our boiler insurance cover.

    To make a claim, you need to arrange for a boiler engineer to visit your property and assess the boiler. They need to submit their report to us, so we can assess whether the claim is covered. If it is, we'll reimburse you for the repair/replacement costs, including parts, labour and call out charges, less the £200 excess.

    This cover is not a maintenance contract – it doesn't cover servicing or Gas Safety Certificates (CP12).

  • QWhat's my rebuild cost and where can I find it?

    The rebuild cost is the total cost of the work needed to completely rebuild your property including professional fees and debris removal costs and put it back to the condition it was in before if it was destroyed beyond repair. It's not the same as the market or resale value of the property.

    Options available are that you use an online rebuild cost calculator. You can get a quote on our online journey using data from the Building Cost Information Service (BCIS) provided by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. It can't provide rebuild costs for all properties (such as flats, so the calculator button might not appear, or you might not see any values when you click on the button) but where values are provided would give you an indication of the range of the cost taking into account if the property is of a basic or excellent standard.

    You can also instruct a local Chartered Surveyor to undertake a report on the property and provide you with an accurate rebuild figure.

    It is your responsibility to ensure that the sum insured selected is adequate as if under insured this could affect the amount of any claim we may pay.

  • QWhat won't holiday home insurance cover?

    The property must be used solely as a Holiday home and not used for business use and we don't cover Holiday Homes where any form of non-motorised or motorised cycle or vehicle is provided (e.g. pedal cycles, scooters, Segway's, quad bikes, motorcycles or cars).

How can we help?

Our virtual assistant is here to answer your questions. And in cases where it doesn't have the answer, we'll put you in touch with someone who can help.

Contact us

Opening hours:

  • Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm
  • Saturday 9am - 3pm
  • Sunday closed